Help helping a turtle. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
xThankless
Help helping a turtle.

Hey all, well I have a turtle that just laid eggs in my yard in Nc. This is not good. They always get eaten by a pest in the area. I would like to artificially incubate them. Then let them go as they hatch. I know snakes, but turtles aren't my forte. Could I get some help at humidity, heat, best way to incubate as I don't have my actual incubator.

Please hurry.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
ReptileGeek181
Hi, hey is it possible that you can build some sort of wire mesh screen to protect the eggs from the pests?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
xThankless
Lol no, I dont mean little squirrels I mean coyotes, raccoons, opossums.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
hadenglock
do you know what kind of turtle layed the eggs?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
xThankless
I have some pictures. Not quite sure, I will admit.

I will upload to ohotbuxket and put them on hwree

Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
xThankless
Here is a picture of mom.

I got 7 eggs. I candled them (d0nt know how turtle eggs form) but didnt see anything telling, or anything at all.

They are in 80 percent humidity at 80 degrees. I used spagum moss, vermiculite.

Hopefully it will due for now.

ANts were already on the scene adn i got stung about 40 times. Hands are all swollen so its hard to type, but can I get some species identification, info, more help?

Coyotes have been spotted already today, so I dug them out,

Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
bikecop
I keep getting turtle eggs laid in the tank water...I gotta figure out whick one it is. Are the eggs still good if in water until i find them and get them out....can anyone help??

Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
stevek123
Beautiful animal and thanks for trying to help her and her eggs out.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
rcarichter
I'm leaning toward a mature slider, but I'd need to see more head and body shots. 80/80 should be fine. You're a good person to take on the ants! As far as candling, you want to look for the red 'cheerio', as with other reptiles. Infertile eggs will look bright yellow and empty when candled.

Noelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!