melafix by api safe for softshell turtles?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
dillon
Question melafix by api safe for softshell turtles??

i was wondering if any advice can be given here, i want to add a large softshell to my fish tank, i have kept softshell turtles successfully with fish in the past, but my large tank is being treated with melafix for the fish, is it safe for turtles?????

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
lauraleellbp
What are you treating the fish for?

I'm asking really b/c melafix isn't effective against many fish issues. I'll use melafix only for very minor issues like cuts/abrasions/touch of mouth fungus. I often find salt more effective than melafix, and if it's anything more serious than that you'd probably do better to pull out some heavier medications (and probably remove the turtle too).

Without making any assumptions about your fish husbandry experience, have you checked the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in the water? It's really hard to keep up the water parameters in turtle tanks to a fish-safe level, since turtles are such heavy waste producers... and that's often the underlying cause of any health issues with fish kept in the same tank.

I can't say one way or another about your turtle and melafix question, unfortunately.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
dillon
well the fish are being treated for abrasions ,they are larger fish and during a water change they tripped out and thought they were going to break the tank, a couple ended up a little beat up, the melafix is healing them nicely and fast, i have read that it would nt harm the turtle if anything might help it, not sure although i have kept herps for 10 yrs + and fish for 15yrs now, i dont know it all lol, always learning thats why i love the hobbies

tanks have good filtration and the fish i keep are on the messier side too, all levels in the tank have always been normal, good water quality and reg. water changes on time

Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
lauraleellbp
Sounds good to me, then.

Only issues I know of with melafix are with anabantoids/labyrinth fish, but since a turtle obviously doesn't have gills and so shouldn't be taking any melafix in internally, I would think there's little harm it would/could do?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!