Cheapest Place to purchase insulated boxes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
ento890
Cheapest Place to purchase insulated boxes

I need to find a company to purchase insulated boxes in bulk. What does everyone use?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
chris allen
If you want to make your own you can purchase the boxes cheap.from uline.com then go buy packages of 3/4" foam from either lowes or home depot. If you want premade superior enterprise used to be good. Think their website has changed though.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
ReptilesExpress
(you can purchase multiple at a discounted rate once you click the size)

Superior Shipping Supply
(previously called Superior Enterprise)

Old 10-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
ento890
Thanks guys. I'll check them both out

Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
goReptiles
I like Superior Shipping. They've always been good on prices. I also keep boxes that I get things shipped to me, as long as the box hasn't been used like 5 other times and shows the wear.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
usmckmanning
I have come to find out that when shipping reptiles UPS and FED EX like to scan the boxes that say perishable on the side just like most shipping boxes are when shipping harmless live animal. Scanning the reptiles is not good for them and when people ship snakes the shipper send the package back to the person who shipped it. So I have been making my own shipping boxes since SYR and Reptiles Express have not been able to ship now. But I have been making my own box for about 7 months now. I buy my 3\4 inch insulation at Home Depot and a few of there smaller boxes. If I need bigger boxes I buy them at a local shipping place. It cuts down the cost on the shipping a lot just because I am not purchasing shipping kits for somewhere else.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
What type of scan are they using and what resource do you have that states it's "not good for them"?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
usmckmanning
I used to work a Yellow Transportation and I know a a lot of people at UPS and Fed Ex and I asked them what do they do when they get perishable items that say harmless animal or a certain bill or lading. They said sometimes depending on the box size and weight they put it under a x ray machine. They x ray it and then they figure out what they want to do from there. That is why I make my own boxes with just the arrows pointing up and no writing on it. It has always worked with no problems. Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
You have to label the outside of the box with, at a minimum, "Wildlife." By not doing so you are violating federal law. Their is a thread here in the shipping forum titled SHIPPING: What you need to know! that lists the federal requirements as well as FedEx/UPS guidelines.

I'm personally not worried about an x-ray machine that they may or may not run a package through (you cite no resources confirming that this happens nor how it effects the health of an animal).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!