Shipping Concerns - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidedragons View Post
That's what I was thinking like a day before it goes out, it would be like a 40 hr.
Why cut your safety margin off by opening the pack early? You'll want to kick yourself if there is a delay, lol.

You still haven't referenced where the package is going, but if you're closing the box up anywhere from 4pm on, I stand by my previous statement. Open the heat pack just before it goes out the door. It won't reach peak temps for a few hours, and by then it should be cooling a bit outside.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
angie.h
If the temps. are above 63 the entire trip, you don't need a heat pack at all . Bearded dragons can take it cooler than even that, but no need to chance it with babies. Over-heating will be more of a threat in warm weather, and the little "hot hands' should never be used in warm weather, they have a really hot surface temp. that can burn or overheat if any little ones come in contact.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
westsidedragons
The package is going to florida, its been cold here is 50s during the day and 40s at night (Central Cali).

Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
RustyNuts
What you need to remember is that your box will be in the cargo hold of an aircraft and on the ground in places other than Florida and California. I work for UPS and in the middle of summer when you open up the lower deck of an aircraft it's like walking into a freezer. It's none too warm at 35,000 feet and lower decks are not heated.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
westsidedragons
So it should be ok. Just nervous I guess its been awhile since I did the shipping thing. Did a lot of local. Then stopped breeding. Started back up last year. I guess its just nerves.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
angie.h
That may be true, it feels cool, but a bit on the cool side is better for bearded dragons than potential overheating. I think that 40,48,60 and 72 hour heat packs don't get too awfully hot so they are safely used as long as temps. in either destination are much above 75. But I don't use them if it's above 65 degrees.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
angie.h
It was meant to say " are not" above 75. Even if it drops to 60 at night, beardies are fine.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #18
westsidedragons
Also I wanted to know if emailed ups labels expire. The lady that sent it to me last Friday said it expires in 3 days????

Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #19
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNuts View Post
What you need to remember is that your box will be in the cargo hold of an aircraft and on the ground in places other than Florida and California.
Would an overnight UPS plane be on the ground anytime other than origin, Louisville, destination?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
RustyNuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaman View Post
Would an overnight UPS plane be on the ground anytime other than origin, Louisville, destination?
It's very possible, yes. It depends on where it's coming from and going to, really. UPS has several large hubs that sort next day, Louisville is just the largest and main hub.

FedEx is the same way. Friday I picked up a pair of blood pythons from Pennsylvania that flew into Indianapolis then rode down from Indy to Louisville in a truck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!