Your largest Leopard Gecko? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2005, 08:25 PM   #21
diablohogs
Quote:
I just got into it with diablohog about the sizes of giants versus normals and i wanted to know what you all have housed them in so that it may help me back up my argument
i have a so called super giant that is 14 months old and weighs 45 grams. at this point im pretty convinced i either purchased a non giant and ron tremper had a mix up OR that my giant... ISNT and the "giant gene" is a buncha crap. either way i paid for a giant gecko from the guy who apparently discovered the gene and ended up with a 45 gram 14 month old female. i have tangerines that are 65 grams and only 2 years old.

i always hear about 100+ gram leopard geckos that are NOT giants. ive got the opposite apparently.

for the record she was raised in a 6 qt tub and vince seems to think this was a major factor in why i have such a small "giant".

im increasingly skeptical about this "giant" gene.

my latest theory: "giants" are the result of a large gecko being bred to other large geckos and a polygenic trait and there is no SINGLE locus solution to small geckos. i hope im wrong.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #22
Herpcam
Sorry to hear about your non-giant. Did you contact Tremper about the non-growing Giant? How much did you pay for it? Was it sold as a Super Giant?

IMO, though, a 6qt is ridiculously small to keep what should be an adult in. I keep my adults in nothing smaller than a 32qt Rubbermaid/Sterilite shirtbox. My big guy, Jack, lives in the largest that will fit in my racks, the 22x16x6

The 6 qts have something like a 6" x 12" floorspace.

Robin, did you mean you like my gecko, or you like Jack (Daniels)?

Old 04-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #23
LadyGecko
I just weighed my oldest/largest normal last week (who is 8 years old) and I was really surprised to see that he wieghs in at 106 grams and is 10 inches long.
This is King

Old 04-18-2005, 02:20 PM   #24
diablohogs
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your non-giant. Did you contact Tremper about the non-growing Giant? How much did you pay for it? Was it sold as a Super Giant?
i paid 400 for a pair of carrot head tangerine giants. this was before giant was codominant. meaning by all means they should be homozygous for this "giant" gene making them both supers.

my giant carrot head tang albino has livied in a neodesha for probably close to 6 months. shes not my largest gecko... but she should be. heres a picture.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2005, 03:05 PM   #25
DiabloBoa
hey chad how long is she now theres probably room for girth but not length if shes done growing but i dont see her doubling to catch up to the rest of these chubby leos
damn shivas lookin good i should just keep her eggs too

Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 PM   #26
Herpcam
Chad,

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on them at $400/pr, seeing as they're carrot head giants. But, if they're obviously not growing as they should, have you contacted Tremper? If so, what does he say about it? You got them from him, right?

What makes you think they're supposed to be Super Giants? How big does a Super Giant get, and does Giant x Giant produce 100% Supers?

Did you raise them in the 6qt, or did he? Until what age/size?

I'm just trying to understand what's going on here.

She's pretty nice looking as far as coloring goes.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 AM   #27
diablohogs
somehow i failed to mention that i did infact get them directly from ron tremper.

in reference to weather or not it is a super giant...

i purchased 3 albinos from ron tremper last year previous to his announcment that his "giant" trait was not in fact recessive but codominant.

the pair i spoke about was one purchase. Duece was another. duece was sold to me as a "super-tangerine" albino HET FOR GIANT and HET FOR JUNGLE. i wasnt aware jungle was a recessive gene but apparently rons are.

now, on the premise that giant is recessive, phenotypically he should be normal size. on the premise that it is codominant he should express the gene even when he carries only one copy of it, but less than a homozygous (2 copies of the gene) animal would. homozygous codominant and incomplete dominant animals are called "super".

with the fact that i bought them previous to ron admitting he was apparently mistaken about the genetic properties of the giant trait, that it wasnt recessive and is in fact codominant, means they should have been homozygous for the "giant" trait. making them supers.

i was fairly disappointed in the appearance of the male. he was quite yellow infact. i voiced this fact to Ron when ordering duece and i believe duece may have been discounted slightly as a result. i still paid 375 + shipping for duece. originally i believe he was $400.

if your wondering what ron tremper raises HIS giants in click this link.

i kept shiva in a 6 qt. tub for a couple months before moving her into a newly aquired neodesha i had bought from a friend. i moved her back to the tub temporarilly to use the space for a pair that i wanted to breed, and then moved her back shortly after. she has had the neodesha to herself most of that time ever since, however i did introduce shiva to deuce and kept shiva in deuce's cage while they bred for maybe a week).

*FHEW!* is that overkill? my apologies.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:56 AM   #28
DiabloBoa
ok my next question for everybody: have any of you gotten a gecko as large as the ones on this site in smaller tubs like the six qt,if not in a six qt then whats the smallest tub you may have raised a tubby leo in?

Old 04-19-2005, 07:00 AM   #29
DiabloBoa
oh and diablohog im still wondering how long shiva is (i would call but id rather see it posted since it relates)

Old 04-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #30
DiabloBoa
well i happen to have the first set of babys from chads giant but he doesnt know cuz he wont answer his phone but they look big and the eggs were big too so does anyone know that the babies would come out big (they look bigger than my week old but it doesnt mean much probably)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!