Opinions on temps and humidity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
hartge330ci
Opinions on temps and humidity

Hi all. I have been searching the net and reading my books, but I am just not finding something definitive for the type of room I have set up. I know some of you have your rooms set up in a similar way, so I am just seeking advice. My room is a 10x10 insulated room with plywood walls. I have sixteen snakes mostly in AP racks, the 1755 series. I have a wall plug in thermostat with an oil-filled radiant heater. I also have an evaporative humidifier. My day/night cycle is 12 hours. I am looking for some input on how to set up the temps/humidity, specifically:

Summer:
Day Room Temperature: ?
Night Room Temperature: ?
Day Flexwatt Temperature: ?
Night Flexwatt Temperature: ?
Humidity: ?

Cooling Off Period:
Day Room Temperature: ?
Night Room Temperature: ?
Day Flexwatt Temperature: ?
Night Flexwatt Temperature: ?
Humidity: ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
P&A Pythons
Use the search button same questions asked before just gotta do some research. Or try

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/py...us/care-sheet/

google is an option

Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
hartge330ci
Thanks for the reply. I have searched, and as stated above, I am trying to find a specific set of guidelines. The link, as most, gives a range and does not address night time drops, heating an entire room and whether or not to use supplemental heat in the form of heat tape, or mating period temperatures. As with most links, results on google, and here on this forum, I have not been able to find a specific set of instructions with all of the temps I am looking for in one place.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
hhmoore
While you can use a heated room, without supplemental heat, my experience has been that it doesn't work a well for ball pythons. I used to run my room at around 84 degrees - it's kind off a trade off...cooler and you reduce the feeding drive, warmer and you risk health problems & may impact fertility.

In my current setup, I don't run a room heater. The upstairs snake room (where the BPs are) is well insulated...and I have more difficulty keeping it cool in the summer than warm in the winter.
I have far fewer issues with non feeders when maintaining a setup that allows them to thermoregulate. A room temp of around 75 - 78 is almost ideal, as long as you provide a properly regulated heat source in the right temperature range.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
FireStorm
I use only room heat, no supplemental heat, and have for the past 4 years. I can't comment on temps for the Flexwatt. I just figured I'd add to the discussion anyway, since room only heat was mentioned. We heat (or cool, we are in FL) our room to 84F year round. The oil filled heater and the A/C are both on t-stats and are both always on. In the winter, we add a backup heater in the room, in case the first one quits in the middle of the night. We don't set a night drop, but in the middle of hot days in the summer the room can warm up a degree or so, and it drops a degree or so some nights, especially in fall and winter. I'm sure we could stop this fluctuation by adding a bigger A/C unit and bigger heaters, but we haven't since it's a small change and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've been happy with this setup. My snakes seem to eat and breed quite well. I find it interesting that I know a few other breeders here in FL who use a setup very similar to mine, and they are also happy, but I don't know many people in other states who use it. I've wondered if that's just because I know more breeders in FL than I do anywhere else, or if the FL weather contributes to this working. It seems to me that the definite rainy season we get here increases feeding responses significantly for my group, but that could be coincidental, as the rainy season is shortly before the start of breeding (it's rainiest late July, August, September). And right now, feeding our crew is about as close to hazardous duty as one can get with ball pythons.

If you are going to run supplemental heat, I'd say Harald is right on with the recommendation of 75-78.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
jack2682
I live in San Diego, and don't ever heat our home, with the exception of the snake room. In the "winter" I have an effective area heater warming up the snake room. I do lower my temps during the breeding months, however, I find that the change in seasons here in So-Cal works well for my snakes. When the temps start to go down, some of the animals go off feed like clockwork and I know to start introducing males.

Not sure where you are in CA, but much of that cooling off may occur naturally unless you control the climate in your home year round.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
R. Eventide
I kinda do what Jack does. I supply belly heat via Flexwatt, but I don't change the thermostat temps much throughout the year. The seasonal change in temps and daylight hours seems to do the trick. And I just have a swamp cooler for the summer, so my room temps this time of year tend to be in the mid-80s. So in the summer, tub temps tend to be in the mid- to upper-80s on the warm side and lower- to mid-80s on the cool side during the day, with significant cooling at night. I try to keep the warm side near 85 or 86 throughout the winter, but the cool side drops to mid- to low-70s.

Even as dry as it is here, I don't do anything special for humidity. The only measurement of humidity I use is whether the snakes are shedding properly.

As others have mentioned, though, location can make a big difference, and people seem to use and have success with lots of different types of setups. I'd see what people in a similar climate tend to have/do and start from there, tweaking as you go to see what works best for your specific house/location/setup.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Araidia
I keep my room at 80 most of the year and have a hot spot of 90 in the tubs. ambient is 85 in the middle and 80 on the cool end and I have a humidifier going year round to keep the room at 65-70%. I only drop the temp for the room to 75 in the winter and it usually doesn't get colder than 77 for their cool spot.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
hartge330ci
Thanks for all the help. Looks like there is no cut and clear "chart" like I am looking for. Perhaps it will help to explain better what I have. I am on the central coast of CA. Temps range here but it never gets really cold or really hot. This summer, first time I have monitored the temp in my barn it has ranged from about 50 to 90. In the snake room the temp seems to hold pretty well at how I have it set using a space heater and no cooling. The room we built seems to be very well insulated in both ways. Here is what I have for my "summer" temps:

Day room temp: 82
Night room temp: 78
Herpstat day temp:88
Herpstat night temp: 82
Humidity: 60% (day and night)

How do you guys suggest I adjust this for the cooling off period?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!