People who Can't Spell "Burm" - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

View Poll Results: Check off any that you would purchase...
Equannas 10 24.39%
Elbino Berms 8 19.51%
Bald Pythons 16 39.02%
Gardener Snakes 10 24.39%
Hoop Snakes 10 24.39%
Red Tailed Pythons 9 21.95%
Emerald Tree Pythons 15 36.59%
Green Tree Boas 16 39.02%
Waterdogs listed as "Fish that turn into lizards" 7 17.07%
"Nile Aligators from Australia like that Croc Hunter guy has" 14 34.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2003, 05:04 PM   #11
ms_terese
Ball boas.....aren't those Rocky's relatives?

I still get annoyed when people describe certain snakes as "poisonous" instead of "venomous". I thought I was just snotty. Glad to know that others get upset as well.

By the way, do any of you own those boas from South Carolina? The Columbian ones?

Old 04-04-2003, 07:34 PM   #12
meretseger
I don't mind too much when 'laypeople' say poisonous, because in general english usage the words are pretty much the same. When hobbyists say it, it does grate my nerves a bit. There's a very valid and useful scientific difference. Remember not to be bitten by a venomous frog, and not to eat a poisonous snake!

Erin B.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:02 PM   #13
Seamus Haley
Mind you I found it on the AOL Reptile forums... Which should immediately give everyone an understanding of excatly the sort of person who would write such a thing... I'm going to try and stick a screen shot on here, if it's too large, I'll go about it another way...

A person's "Berm" is regurging after every meal... Anyone want to bet if doing searches for those "Bermese Pythons" has left them out of luck and even more confused?

And... does it surprise anyone that someone who doesn't even know the name of their own animal is having health problems with said animal?
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2003, 09:13 PM   #14
jenn_jeffery
It's been reguring for a year, yet seems healthy?? Yeah. Poor snake, hope they can find a vet for it.

What bugs me is when animals 'burmate'. They don't brumate, nope, they do something that sounds like a python eating.

Old 04-29-2003, 12:29 AM   #15
sschind
My favorite one was an ad in the classifieds of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal. Some guy was selling a "Bermie's python" I tried to find out who Bermie was and let him know that someone was selling his snake but to no avail.

I have also had one person telling me about the 15" ball python their neighbor had. they even insisted it was a ball when I suggested it might have been a Burmese "no, it was a python" they said.

One customer was worried that her 8 foot rosy boa hadn't eaten in over a month.

On a related note, did anyone catch the Simpsons last night. they showed an rattlesnake sitting on a nest of eggs. I couldn't believe it. I always thought the Simpsons was the top of the line in intellectual programming. Thats why I watch it every chance I get

Steve Schindler

Old 04-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #16
JasonBrennan
Quote:
I have also had one person telling me about the 15" ball python
Wouldn't this be correct? Or am I one of those idiots? I always thought that " meant inches, and ' meant feet? Am I wrong?

Old 04-29-2003, 10:22 PM   #17
sschind
You are right, I hit the shift key at the wrong time. It was supposed to be 15' ball python. I gotta learn to proofread better.

Steve Schindler

Old 04-30-2003, 12:09 AM   #18
JasonBrennan
No problem, I knew what you meant. I was just pickin' at ya

Old 02-01-2004, 06:03 PM   #19
ZX11
Other than the incorrect spellings of animals' names, things that get under my skin are the people who insist on being chased by whipsnakes and even whipped when caught !!!!!

Or the 8ft bald python, or those think they got high from a snake bite, or maybe the poor fools that cannot understand than there is no such thing as a "poisonous" snake. They are venomous, not poisonous. The difference being digestion vs injection.

Then, of course, are the copperhead rattlers and the term "puff adder" directed at the hognose.

Can we just come up with an intelligence quiz that would keep such morons out of this hobby????
Michael Parkinson

Old 02-03-2004, 01:40 PM   #20
meretseger
Well, hognoses do puff, and I hear they're great at math.

Erin B.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!