How can you tell if your kenyan sand boa is pregnant - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Daidra
How can you tell if your kenyan sand boa is pregnant

I have a female Anery(kenyan sand boa) and I have her in with a male normal het anery(for around 2 weeks now)and she just started eating again after shedding and she will only take small hopper mice and before going into shed she would eat about 4 adult mice in a week.My male is around 40g(I know he should be bigger but he went off food as it is that time of the year and he is smelling the female so I decided I would put him in with her and see if he would eat and he did so I was glad he is getting ready to shed and she is staying on her warm side lot more and when I pick her up she has small bumps on her side and is starting to get bigger in her 2nd half of her body,could she be pregnant,tell me what some signs are to her being pregnant and she ate 3 small hopper mice within 3 days so she is starting to eat more,any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Daidra

www.leopardgeckolair.com
dmsalyers@gmail.com

Old 02-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
scaledverts
With Kenyans (and other live bearers) it is really hard to tell until much later in the pregnancy. You won't really be able to tell much of anything until she is ~1-2 months away from birth! Unfortunately . With my two Kenyans, they bred in mid spring (I don't know the exact days as they do like to hide ) and didn't give birth until mid to late October. I really began to suspect that they were pregnant a month or two before that. They both went off food (or at least slowed down) you could also visibly see that the last half or so of their bodies were larger. At least in my case, they both also got fairly restless just before birth as they were looking for a place to give birth.

Good luck with the Kenyans. There is NOTHING like seeing a bunch of little heads sticking up out of the sand looking at you.

Are you going to get anything other than normals out of this pairing?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Daidra
Thanks,she started eating more and also staying on her warm end more,fingers crossed,my male is a normal het anery(from JMG reptile) and the female is an anery so I should get some anery's and normals het for anery,I will be selling them but keeping a few.The male(only 40g)and 2 years old will be 3 in oct. I take it could breed with her then right?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
scaledverts
Yeah, my male bred at just about 2 years old. I don't think weight is as important for males as age (as long as they have been feeding well (as well as a male Kenyan can eat anyway ))

Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Daidra
okay great thanks,hopefully I will have some babies soon.Now I just have to wait,lol.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daidra View Post
okay great thanks,hopefully I will have some babies soon.Now I just have to wait,lol.
That's the worst part!!!

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
ophidile
Just make sure she has a good hotspot and wait to see what's cooking ^-^

Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Daidra
Yep she is well taken care of thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!