NEW ASF RAT BREEDING PROJECT - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
THEREALMIKEMOORE
NEW ASF RAT BREEDING PROJECT

Just picked up these nice ASF Rats today from a local breeder. Got a good deal i got 1.4 for only $8 bucks..Does anybody know around what age/size are they able to breed. I forgot to ask the breeder how old they are but they are weighing from 40-70 grams.

By the way this are alot better than mice. They are pretty much odorless

Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
LabRat
Michael,
They look to be sub adults from the picture. Give it a little time. It really does seem to take forever sometimes....probably the anticipation. I'd say, that by Christmas, you'll see something......maybe a very fat belly - maybe a pile of pups.

If you ever happen to be in or around Massachusetts and wish to get some unrelated males or females......I'd gladly trade some with you. New blood is always a good thing if you can get it. I like to trade pregnant females for pregnant females - but keep me in mind if you are ever around Ma.

If you are asking when these guys will breed - I will assume that you are not VERY familiar with ASF rats. I have been raising them for quite some time now and I will share a few things that I have found to be necessary factors in raising healthy, docile ASF rats. MOST people will tell you that they are assholes and are viscious. There is nothing farther from the truth. They are VERY docile, predictible animals. I will tell you what I have found to be MOST important and you can feel free to e mail me at skullqueen@verizon.net if you want/need any further information on successful introductions, breeding, housing, feeding - whatever.

There are a few things that I have found to be a MUST for keeping ASF rats healthy and tame:

1) Carrots and spray millet several times each week (Every other day is what I do).....only enough carrots that they will eat within a 24 hour period - you don't want any left the next day. Spray millet daily - you'll find the right amount for your animals - I like them to always have it available - but they do eat it quickly - so I offer a small piece each day....but don't overload them.

2) Cage change every 4-5 days, and a complete cage clean at least every 2 weeks.

3) You can't have too many hides available....even if it is an empty pop tart box - they need to be able to get away, and off on their own if they want to.

4) When handling them for any reason - do it in good lighting. Do not handle them in dim light. Open the cage top and wait- make sure they ALL know you are there. Always approach them slowly and handle them gently - as close to the base of the tail as possible. MOST cages of ASF rats have a "king" (Often times the 'king' is a female) I remove my animals according to what social order they are in - but THAT would take too much to explain here. I will be happy to do so in an e mail if you are interested in knowing about that.

6) Do not let females have more than 3-4 litters back to back

7) If an ASF rat turns and becomes aggressive.....kill it. ONE nasty ASF rat will destroy every other one it is housed with. If you keep it - you will have an entire cage of nasty rats. They will mate and raise nasty rats - once it gets to that point - it is VERY difficult to have harmony again.

Over the years, I have found that the few simple things that I have listed above will ensure that you will have healthy, docile animals. They really don't require much - but if you do not care for them properly....they will get VERY nasty. I have very successfully raised them for years. I have been bitten once (My own fault) and I have only lost one animal to an intorduction with an adult male/adult female pair.

People have no problem telling others what agressive, hateful animals they are. I promise you that it is NOT the rats....it is the owners. Simple, basic, knowledge and understanding of them will ensure a good colony. They will "talk" to you - with their behavior, posture and looks........IF you listen to what they are saying - ypu'll do well.

Again - feel free to e mail me if you have any questions that I may be able to offer advice or suggestions on. skullqueen@verizon.net

Good luck with them...they are healthy and beautiful - I can tell by the picture that they are docile and quite handleable right now. It is your job to keep it that way.

Cathy

I wish you the very best of luck

Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
deborahbroadus
They ARE much cuter than rats!

I thank you for being nice enough to answer his question. I, too, have been looking for more care sheets on these rats. My set up, I have just picked up a trio myself, is similar to Michael's, but obviously I am going to have to spend as much time with them as I do with my rats to keep the ASFs as docile as my rats. They do seem as tame as my rats and gerbils. I am planning to phrase out the gerbils and focus on the rats and ASFs.

Great "heads-up" on the food..thankfully I have plenty of carrots around and just got a new Parrot so millet will be plentiful. Please include me in any information that you send out.

I will also appreciate new information or care sheets that you may have. Thanks again!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!