Back or belly heat in shoebox rack? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Back or belly heat in shoebox rack
Belly Heat 6 46.15%
Back Heat 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
MGReptiles
Back or belly heat in shoebox rack?

I am inthe process of getting a rack for my baby corns and was wondering what the concenses is on heat. Back or belly. My herp room is heated with a oil filled raditor type heater, it stays around 75-80 at all times. Thanks,
-Matt

Old 09-16-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
CAV
I use both with no noticeable difference.

Old 09-16-2004, 03:08 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
Back heat is less effecient powerwise by comparison, but works fine in a shoebox rack in a heated room. It's easier to install as well.
For larger tubs though, I abandoned the back heat method as inadequate. I only use belly heat for large boxes.

Old 09-16-2004, 03:26 AM   #4
MGReptiles
Well I ordered one from one company and have found it cheaper from Natures Spirit. And they actually answer my email..lol. They can install 40 watt flexwatt instaed of the twenty watt. I want a hot spot for them around 88 degrees...This should be acheavable with the 40 watt right?
-Matt

Old 09-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
I'm sure the 40 watt will do that. I've never used anything higher than 20 watts per foot and I always get those temps.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
CAV
Quote:
Originally posted by justcage
Well I ordered one from one company and have found it cheaper from Natures Spirit. And they actually answer my email..lol. They can install 40 watt flexwatt instaed of the twenty watt. I want a hot spot for them around 88 degrees...This should be acheavable with the 40 watt right?
-Matt
Why do you want to achieve a temp that high??? Too much for corn hatchlings IMO.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Alias47
I agree with cav...and belly heat is MUCH more efficient.
Besides if your room is heated already...I would think that 20 watt flex would be more than enough to meet your demands.

If you are building your own rack, belly isn't THAT much harder than back heat to install.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
I've clocked my Snake Shake 6qt (NS Reptiles - whom I highly recommend) at the standard back heat temps at 120 without a thermostat. So I would say the 40w is overkill, and regardless you will need to use a thermostat!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!