Come on people... Not a square is to be found. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #21
bcr229
My local WalMart and some other grocery stores got restocked this morning. Of course, someone posted that on Facebook and an hour later the TP was gone even with limits on how much buyers could purchase.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #22
Socratic Monologue
I understand all that -- people might think they need to stock up for months.

But why is TP (and sanitizers, which aren't very interesting if your whole family is holed up and sick, but that's a different matter...) the only thing that's running out at stores? Do people have enough food/drinks/fuel/library books/potato chips/baby formula/hand lotion/dog food/dishwashing detergent/etc. to last that time? Doubtful. That hypothetical family of five goes through more food than 99% of people can even possibly stockpile at home for the time that all five get sequential infections.

I don't suspect for a minute that more than a couple percent of TP buyers are doing the math y'all are doing ("let's see... one BM a day...maximum twelve squares each....100 squares on a roll...four people in the house...four days to get test results..."); if they were, all the frozen and canned food shelves would be empty, too, because folks are going to run out of food 6 months before they can't wipe themselves anymore.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #23
bcr229
Canned foods, milk, and fresh meat are reportedly in short supply at my local stores.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #24
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Canned foods, milk, and fresh meat are reportedly in short supply at my local stores.
I wonder if the word got out that people were stocking up on food items x, y and z, whether those items would suddenly get impossible to find.

I suspect that much of the TP hoarding is done by people who hear that TP is getting hard to find, so they run to the store and compound the issue.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #25
WebSlave
For all the downsides to this, obviously the grocery stores are doing quite well.

Connie and I went to the local Wynn-Dixie grocery store a few days ago and surprisingly a lot of the stuff I would consider as being "stockable" items for someone preparing to go into lockdown was actually on sale there. So at least I don't see any price gouging going on. At least not yet.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #26
Socratic Monologue
Walmart and some chain grocery stores are cutting hours. Let the hoarding begin!

Honestly, it might be better to open them longer, so that people aren't all packed in there at once.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #27
WebSlave
It may reach a point where if I NEED to run out to get something, I would want to find a 24 hour store and go there between 3 and 4 am when foot traffic would be minimal. I think the local Walmart here is 24 hour, but with what you are saying about them cutting hours, that might not be for long.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #28
sschind
just an interesting TP update. One of my coworkers told me of an incident she had at a local wal mart. She went in to pick up some staples for her 4 kids that are home from school and noticed a large crowd of people milling about near the back doors. She asked what was going on and someone said they were bringing out a pallet of TP. People were pushing and shoving to be first in line so rather than fight the crowd and wait in line she went about perusing the near empty (of food and people) aisles for whatever she could find. When they brought out the pallet they made everyone line up and each person was going to get 1 package and no one could get back in line. The thing is all the cases of 4 packs were on top and they opened them first and handed them out so those who fought to get in line first got 4 packs and after the line died down she went by and saw some larger packs with no one in line so she grabbed one of the 24 packs for herself without having to wait and she got to do the rest of her shopping in relative peace without being coughed or sneezed or breathed on. I just love stories like that.

I'm off for a couple of days then I'm back to work (after being told by my bosses for years that I am essentially useless I am all of a sudden essential) so all those asymptomatic guests can get their glazers, dunkers, coffee, cigarettes, beer and lottery tickets. Thankfully we are in our semi-annual white glove inspection time so for the next 4 or 5 days I'll be mostly outside sweeping the parking lot, picking up cigarette butts, cleaning gas pumps, pressure washing walls and sidewalks and cleaning car washes. I don't know why but somehow it always seems that when I am doing this I get the walkie talkie that doesn't work.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #29
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
just an interesting TP update. One of my coworkers told me of an incident she had at a local wal mart. She went in to pick up some staples for her 4 kids that are home from school and noticed a large crowd of people milling about near the back doors. She asked what was going on and someone said they were bringing out a pallet of TP. People were pushing and shoving to be first in line so rather than fight the crowd and wait in line she went about perusing the near empty (of food and people) aisles for whatever she could find. When they brought out the pallet they made everyone line up and each person was going to get 1 package and no one could get back in line. The thing is all the cases of 4 packs were on top and they opened them first and handed them out so those who fought to get in line first got 4 packs and after the line died down she went by and saw some larger packs with no one in line so she grabbed one of the 24 packs for herself without having to wait and she got to do the rest of her shopping in relative peace without being coughed or sneezed or breathed on. I just love stories like that.
That's awesome.

My local store had a different take - everyone could purchase ONE ROLL.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #30
Jonathan P
Still have yet to see any TP in any of the local stores except CVS which does sell it for $1.39/roll, max 1 roll. I'm sure there has been some delivered though as riots haven't started yet. Pasta, thermometers, paper towels, rubbing alcohol, sanitizer of any kind, masks (even the crappiest ones that barely keep dust out) - all still missing from the shelves. But bottled water is making a small come back in the stores in limited supplies.

Tried online for TP since I am running low, and care for an elderly parent, and every time I put some in my "cart" by the time I went to pay it was unavailable. Finally found some from a company called Seventh Generation (U.S. made) and bought a large pack. Went back 5 minutes later to order for a friend that had his internet down and they were sold out too.

As to others, beef is in short supply but chicken and pork are somewhat available. But seafood, fruits, vegetables, store baked bread & pastries --- as much as you want.

Hope others are having better luck. Stay safe and sane!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!