Can we stop bumping 5+ year old ads up... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Venomous Snakes

Notices

Old 05-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
SiouxsieQ
Can we stop bumping 5+ year old ads up...

PLEASE look at the post date, all these old ads are burying the actual current ads. I assure you, no one is still selling an eyelash viper from 5 years ago.
  Contact User Check User
Old 05-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
Lateshuvit
Can we?

Old 05-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
A nice sentiment, but I wonder how posting this is going to help. Maybe people will keep bumping this (non-classified ad in the classifieds section) to the top so the inattentive bumpers can read it?

One trick is to get a membership here, which enables the locking of one's own threads, forcing repliers to use PM. Wouldn't solve the problem entirely, but it does allow a seller to not be part of the problem.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #4
Varanexan
IMO, this problem would be solved if classified threads would be automatically locked after X amount of time. There is some forum software that allows this to be done.

I don't think many people would care to pay money to lock their own threads for the sake of others, and most of the time, these necro'd classified threads are created by those that have not logged in for years.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varanexan View Post
IMO, this problem would be solved if classified threads would be automatically locked after X amount of time. There is some forum software that allows this to be done.
This has been addressed before, somewhat recently, and the owner of the site has shared his opinion on the matter, and gave reasons in support of that opinion:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=70681

If you read around on really old discussions here of this and similar topics, there have been a number of different formats tried for auto locking of ads over the last 20ish years. Can't please everyone, it seems, and while stumbling over necrobumps from time to time is annoying, it doesn't even break the top 100 of 'first world problems'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varanexan View Post
I don't think many people would care to pay money to lock their own threads for the sake of others.
But yet they will still complain that someone else should do something about it. Huh.

I guess that's kind of why the problem exists, right? Someone won't take the trouble to make it better. Because one of those annoying bumpers could say the same thing: "I'm not going to take the trouble to read the dates or the past replies just for the sake of others. Someone else should deal with it. Someone should make it so that these old threads don't come up in my search." (Yes, this last comment has been made here before.)

Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #6
Varanexan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
This has been addressed before
Good to know, thanks. Too bad its never been solved in almost twenty years. Other forums have seemed to remedied it, though.

Quote:
and while stumbling over necrobumps from time to time is annoying, it doesn't even break the top 100 of 'first world problems'.
That can be said about the vast majority of daily nuisances.

Quote:
Someone won't take the trouble to make it better.
Even prior to locking threads being a paid membership perk, it was free to everyone, and yet is still as much as an issue today than it was a decade ago. This seems to be less of a problem with active, dedicated sellers and more of an issue with one-off accounts that list species without ever marking them as sold. Ads that are repeatedly necro'd should be moderated appropriately.

Old 05-15-2021, 03:33 AM   #7
Switchmongo
Seriously keep getting hyped on new posts only to find its older than dirt

Old 05-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #8
Wyattherp
Thanks for finally saying something. It’s frustrating

Old 05-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchmongo View Post
Seriously keep getting hyped on new posts only to find its older than dirt
Why not make the original post date your first stop?

Old 05-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #10
Switchmongo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Why not make the original post date your first stop?

I just mean that on my browser it doesnt show a date till youve already opened the thread.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!