Any Suggestions? Please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
RTGReptiles
Any Suggestions? Please

I'm a new member to the ball pythons and I bought 3, 2011 babies from a reptile show from a breeder who is well known around my area. But the problem is that one of them will not eat and its been 3 weeks since I bought him. The other two have already eaten 3 meals and I'm just not sure what the problem is. I have double checked my temps and they are at 85 for the babies. I have also tried live and frozen. The two females that I bought are both eating frozen, but the male wouldn't so then I tried live and it seemed like he was just afraid of it. The size that I am feeding are the next step above pinkies.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
hhmoore
This thread has been moved to the ball pythons discussion area

First, I would probably try a slightly larger prey item - the size right above pinks is still pretty small, and doesn't move enough to similar much of a feeding response.
Is 85 the area over/under the heat?
What type of enclosure are they in?
Are they housed separately,or together?
Have you contacted the breeder, yet? (I'm a big advocate for going to the source...after all, the breeder would be able to tell you the specifics of how that particular snake was kept/fed).

Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
RobNJ
How many times had it eaten before you bought it? Did the breeder give you any feeding record? You may want to kick your hot side up a few degrees. Are you housing it in a tank or rack? I very recently went through this with one of my own hatchlings, and she had to be assist fed a few times, then I let her go a couple weeks without even offering food, and she just started eating on her own after that.

There are many things you can do...offer live, try different items(mice/rats), different colors, put it in a small box or paper bag with the food item, leave something in with it overnight(that won't chew the snake up), etc, etc... Depending on its age/size, it may come down to assist feeding, though if it was already an established feeder, the snake is probably uncomfortable with or not yet adjusted to its new environment.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
RTGReptiles
Yes I'm keeping him in a rack system and the hot spot is between 85 and 86. I have contacted the breeder and he said that he was feeding live fuzzies and I tried that. I waited a week and a half and tried again but had the same result.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
RTGReptiles
Sorry not fuzzies but live weened mice.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Montoya
Most breeders will not let babies go until they eat several times just for this reason. I think you will be fine as is, just a bit frustrating. Continue to offer live mouse hoppers every 3-5 days. Try your next feeding after the lights go out and see what happens. Good luck to you.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
RTGReptiles
Finally got him to eat thanks to all who helped out. I bumped the temp. up just a bit and I waited till night time to feed him and he took it no problem. Thanks Everyone.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
RobNJ
That was quick...great to hear!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
Ultimate Pythons
good job

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!