Selling/Trading unproven het x het babies??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Melinda
Selling/Trading unproven het x het babies???

As some of you know I had a clutch of 100% het Caramel x 100% het caramels hatch out with no visual morphs. The way I figure it is I have 2.4 66% ph caramel. But with the parents unproven, I'm not sure if I should sell or trade them. The breeder who produced the hets is 1050% reliable and trustworthy. Animals are micro chipped and match their papers.

After how many clutchs do you all give to prove out before assembling the villagers and weapons?

Your thoughts? would you feel comfortable selling/trading them? and NO, these are NOT TSE.

I'm thinking of selling the four girls as a package with a guarantee that at least one proves out. Or keep all the girls and prove them out. or, or, or......

Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
LadyOhh
I would say two or three...

As you have seen on the BOI, this is an issue that is current.

I would really have a hard time with selling/trading them, due to the fact that even though the word of a trustworthy breeder is golden, they could have made mistakes!
We are all human...

Tough call, Melinda.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Melinda, I think that hatching out that second clutch without a visable morph. you have a big problem.

If you wanted to sell off some babies, just provide copies of your genetic guarantees that you recieved with them. There are no guarantees with 66% hets. most people are smart enought to know that a 66% het is a gamble.

Full disclouser is important in a case like this also. if your customer wants to go with it, let them make that discision.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
SPJ
This was the second clutch with no visuals?

If that is the case, I would want compensation from the seller. You should have gotten visuals in the first clutch but to go 2 clutches with nothing! That sounds like they aren't really hets to me.

I would hold back selling all of the offspring for now and try to get some type of compensation worked out with the one that sold you the hets.

If you wanted to sell them after, I would explain the situation and try to sell them a reduced price than what hets would go for. Chances are that since 2 clutches produced no visuals, the offspring really are not any % hets.

I would not feel comfortable labeling them as hets.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
Ed Clark
Steve, this clutch is her first. What I meant was she has big problems if there is no visables in the next clutch.

Even if 1 of the parents was a het, the resulting offspring would still be 50 % hets.

Then maybe it would be better to keep all the females and prove them out.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #6
boybronco
I dont have any snakes and I've never had this problem, but business wise I'd sell them at a slightly reduced price with full disclosure included in the advertisement.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 AM   #7
Clay Davenport
If you sold them today as 66% hets you would be doing nothing unethical. With only one clutch having been produced, and your stated confidence in the breeder you purchased from, you have no real reason to think they aren't 66%.
Even if by chance there was a mix up and only one of the parents are het, then one of those girls at least should be also.

That being said however, what I would do personally is keep all four girls. Chances are a couple of them are het so you could use them later anyway. In the meantime you can produce another clutch next season and have a better idea what you have exactly. Then if you wanted to sell them, they're a year older and will be worth more, or at least sell easier.

The fact is right now, despite your confidence in the seller, if you were to advertise them with full disclosure you would have a harder time selling them with no visual sibling to show.
If you produce a visual next year though, you'll have four 500 gram 66% het females, and you could decide then what you want to do with them.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:47 AM   #8
hhmoore
Right. And when you think about it, with 4-6 eggs, you would only have been expecting one visual...not too hard to miss the nod of the genetics fairy on that one. If you have the capabilities of keeping the babies for a year, try again to prove out the parents. (just for the record, with BPs, it is not unheard of to go a couple breedings without visuals when dealing with het x het pairings. The clutch size is just too small to make the statistical percentages viable.)

Old 05-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
Steve, this clutch is her first. What I meant was she has big problems if there is no visables in the next clutch.
My mistake. I thought this was the second clutch that produced no visuals.
It is possible to miss on the first clutch with het x het so in that situation, I would hold onto them for now and see what happens with the next clutch.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
Melinda
Thanks everyone! I think I'll get DH to make some more racks and hold on to the girls and see if the parents prove out next year.

Looks like I'm gonna need a bigger house!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!