A word of advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Michael Brown
A word of advice

If looking into purchasing a Leucistic Alligator snapping turtle be careful and recognize there is a good chance you can lose it. My 300 gallon stock tank is dedicated to alligator snapping turtles from the range of 6inch shell to 12inch. My Lucy was eating like a pig, as are all of the other turtles in my tank (8 total). I came downstairs yesterday to a dead turtle.

I read, and ignored the genetic defect leucistic allys have that will have a perfectly healthy AST mysteriously die. But was told that as they get larger the chance gets smaller... Well mine was about 7inch mark, and dropped dead with a full belly of crayfish.

Goodluck to anyone who wants to give them a go. I am yet to see a full grown Luecistic and am extremely skeptical if they even live to that age. Something is very odd with the whole situation.

All my other snappers are perfectly fine and healthy. go figure

Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
LauraB
Oh man ... I'm really sorry to hear that! Of all the snappers to lose - if you had to lose any, that is. Thanks for the word of warning.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Michael Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Oh man ... I'm really sorry to hear that! Of all the snappers to lose - if you had to lose any, that is. Thanks for the word of warning.
Yah well It seems to always work that way. I really appreciate the condolence though just really bummed out.... I knew better..

Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
LauraB
Hey, even if you knew better, there coulda been that one little chance that he/she might make it. Now wouldn't that have been cool! Worth taking the chance, I think.

I probably would have done the same.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
zzzdanz
Damn Mike,that sucks man.You'ld think at that size you'ld be good to go.
Don't give up,try again.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
jessejames
sorry about the late reply yes some leucistic alligator snappers will die for no reason ive had some die myself but ive lost many snappers due to eating and chocking on crayfish yes they love them but ive lost turtles buy eating them. i will be downsizing my collection in the future and will be parting with some leucistics and reg alligator snappers. ill keep u posted

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!