cage questions and more from a new ball owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
akaangela
cage questions and more from a new ball owner

I am getting my first Balls on tuesday. I am getting one male and one femal from different breeders. The femal is 296g and the male is 140g my first question is can I keep them in the same cage? I am getting a 55gallon tank, so if I can not keep them together I can put a devider in the tank (If I have to divided it I was thinking of putting the heating pad in the middle so I would only have to have one of those). second question is their water dish. Should I have a large dish with just a bit of water in it (I don't want them to drown)? Both are 04 and CB. So they wont be ready to breed for at least another year. I am breeding my own mice (for my corn snakes) should I start breeding Rats as well for the balls? How many rats can a 2 y.o ball eat in a month? Is misting the cage good enough to keep the humidity up? Thanks for your help.
I was going to post photos but they don't want to seem to load (when I hit the photo button it pops me up to the top of the screan )

Old 01-20-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
jusmebabee
You can keep them together but feed separately.
I feed mine 1 medium rat a week which is 4 a month.
It depends on the individual snake how many to feed but don't over do it. Fat snakes are lazy breeders in my opinion.

Good Luck

Old 01-21-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Sand&SunReptile
Also, you failed to mention overweight/obese snakes have less of a chance of living to an older age. Not only does it take away from breeding, which shouldn't be the first consideration, it isn't healthy for the snake in general.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
MGReptiles
Joel, snakes are not social creatures. They should not be kept together!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
jusmebabee
Justcage I never implied they were social and hang out. Read my post again. I said they could be housed together as was his question.

Also sand and sun i hear you but his question wasn't about obesity it mentioned breeding. I respond to questions in the post not one that weren't asked.
Thanx,
Joel

Old 01-21-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
MGReptiles
Housing them together is a bad idea. You cannot tell which snake is doing what. Also the chance the disease transmission is doubled. It will also make the snake more prone to go off feed because of being nervous and stressed...

Old 01-21-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
jusmebabee
If he plans to keep these as pets all that you stated goes out the window.
If he plans to start a breeding program then of course he should house them separately.
You stated your opinion I stated mine. He will get other opinions and do what he thinks is best for him.
Take care justcages

Old 01-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
Sand&SunReptile
Are you saying Joel, if he kept them strictly as pets then there isn't a single chance of going off feed due to stress?
It doesn't matter if they are pets or breeders, everything Matt said has relevance and should be taken seriously.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
MGReptiles
Sir you really need to know what your talking about before givingadvice to someone that is asking for help. When it comes to the care of an animal guessing is not an option. Do your research, read some books and get some experience under your belt before you provide information that is incorrect!

Old 01-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
akaangela
thank you

I think I will just put the devidor in and go from there. I know it will be a bit more dificult in getting the temps just right but I would rather be safe than sorry. They are after all just a tiny boy/girl and I don't want any problems so the tank should be fine for a while. That gives them both 24"x13"x20" the same size as my 20 gallon long (and Iwas told that could house a small adult). At what weight would you consider this size of tank too small?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!