What is the difference between type A, B, and C mourning geckos? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
tinyplant
What is the difference between type A, B, and C mourning geckos?

Basically the title. I've seen people post about certain types of mourning geckos (A, B, C etc) but cannot find anywhere what these types mean. I've seen species descriptions for them like Hawaiian, yellow-bellied etc and don't know if this is what the 'types' are. Can somebody clarify for me? Looking to get into breeding a few. Thanks

Old 06-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
The ReptiRanch
The types basically just describe the pattern and amount of black speckling. Also just so you know... you don't breed them... they are parthenogenic so they clone themselves

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 06-07-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
tinyplant
For those that might be interested, I found this very helpful graphic online that showcases the differences between the types:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_326065894

Old 06-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #4
The ReptiRanch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyplant View Post
For those that might be interested, I found this very helpful graphic online that showcases the differences between the types:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_326065894
Problem is there are many different charts that label the types differently I've seen the type C on your list also labeled as Type B and Type D

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 06-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
James L
Yes, the A, B and C forms really shouldn't be taken seriously. Different people have different meanings for each. But they are usually referring to Hawaiians when talking about those grades.
The yellow bellies are actually my creation. They originated from one MG I purchased from a source from France. I never got any locality info because of the language barrier. But I did very well with it and hundreds descended from the original. They were not yellow belly's at first though. After multiple generations, I held back ones that had yellow bellies. They would just start popping up in groups of babies so I held onto those and kept keeping the ones that had the brightest bellies. Eventually I got they came down to the brightest bellies that were more prolific egg layers than the original. Took me about 5 years to get that line going. Fun project.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by James L View Post
Yes, the A, B and C forms really shouldn't be taken seriously. Different people have different meanings for each.
I've been waiting for someone knowledgeable to confirm this fact. Seems another example of needless and kind of pretentious categorization that doesn't really track anything interesting.

It is neat to know a little bit about the yellow belly ones, though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
gecko, geckos, mourning gecko, mourning gecko types, reptiles