birth defect - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
cajunreptiles
birth defect

i just got an adult bearded dragon from a couple that were not taking very good care of him. They had him in a cage with 2 other males first off then they werent feeding him fresh veggies but instead some fake pellet looking stuff. before i went to pick him up they informed me that he was missing one of his feet. i was ok with it. When i got there they told me it was a birth defect he had it before they got him. so when i brought him home he was really mad and didnt like to even be looked at. i fed him some crickets and he ate like crazy im assuming cuz his missing foot he couldnt get alot of food. Now i noticed a few claws are gone have holding him and examing him. Has anyone heard of a birth defect like this? will not having the claws effect him? Im not sure yet but i dont think he can climb up to bask whats a good way of helping him climb up his rocks/branches? thanks for any help

Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
dden
That is probably not a birth defect, but it is most likely the result of a bite (or several) from a cage mate (or several). It usually happens when they are young juveniles, often because one aggressive cage mate goes around biting the rest on the toes and tail tips. Sometimes it is the result of a feeding accident, but that is much less common. It should not have any effect on his well being. He will still be able to chase food items and breed (if you want him to)... I have several beardeds with missing toes, claws, and feet, but none have problems eating or breeding.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
cajunreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dden View Post
That is probably not a birth defect, but it is most likely the result of a bite (or several) from a cage mate (or several). It usually happens when they are young juveniles, often because one aggressive cage mate goes around biting the rest on the toes and tail tips. Sometimes it is the result of a feeding accident, but that is much less common. It should not have any effect on his well being. He will still be able to chase food items and breed (if you want him to)... I have several beardeds with missing toes, claws, and feet, but none have problems eating or breeding.
he doesnt have any problem getting crickets he chases them around and is very quick. the biggest thing is he never gets on his logs rocks or branches he just stays on the floor but stays right under the light has if he is basking.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
skirtinthedirt
It's unlikely that's because of a missing foot. Most disabled beardies climb fine. My guess is that the "good" spots in his previous cage were always guarded by the more aggressive males. He's probably expecting to get attacked if he tries to climb up.

Give him a couple weeks to figure out he's the king of the castle and I'd be willing to be he'll start climbing around.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
cajunreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirtinthedirt View Post
It's unlikely that's because of a missing foot. Most disabled beardies climb fine. My guess is that the "good" spots in his previous cage were always guarded by the more aggressive males. He's probably expecting to get attacked if he tries to climb up.

Give him a couple weeks to figure out he's the king of the castle and I'd be willing to be he'll start climbing around.
thanks for the help. ill see what happens in the next few weeks. hes calmed down alot he doesnt even show his beard at first he did and open his mouth trying to look big but never tried to bite us even when i dangled a piece of carrot in front of him.