Littering - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Lucille
Angry Littering

I live one block from a high school. I love kids, spent most of my life as a pediatric nurse. But sometimes I just wonder. A lot of the kids walk home and snack as they walk, and just throw their trash on the ground. Some of that ground happens to be my yard.

I actually built a garden so they would walk on the perimeter of my yard instead of right through it because it was getting to the point that I was picking up trash every day.

I never littered like that, even when I was young. I never once saw my mother or father or grandmother or grandfather litter either. It just would have never crossed our minds to throw trash on the ground.
It isn't that there is no place to put it, most of these kids have back packs.

Perhaps they don't realize that if they throw it down, it doesn't just get removed by magic, someone has to pick it up.
The garden idea is working pretty well because the city actually has sweeping trucks they send around that pick debris off the streets and that is where the trash is ending up now. But the point of my rant is just to wonder why this is happening?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
radera5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I live one block from a high school. I love kids, spent most of my life as a pediatric nurse. But sometimes I just wonder. A lot of the kids walk home and snack as they walk, and just throw their trash on the ground. Some of that ground happens to be my yard.

I actually built a garden so they would walk on the perimeter of my yard instead of right through it because it was getting to the point that I was picking up trash every day.

I never littered like that, even when I was young. I never once saw my mother or father or grandmother or grandfather litter either. It just would have never crossed our minds to throw trash on the ground.
It isn't that there is no place to put it, most of these kids have back packs.

Perhaps they don't realize that if they throw it down, it doesn't just get removed by magic, someone has to pick it up.
The garden idea is working pretty well because the city actually has sweeping trucks they send around that pick debris off the streets and that is where the trash is ending up now. But the point of my rant is just to wonder why this is happening?
Pure laziness, unfortunately.

I also say lack of parenting. It's not only with littering either. All sorts of horrible kids these days. It's a shame. Very disrespectful as well.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
salottimc
I just saw this today.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
lack of parenting, lack of respect.
If my mom saw me drop something on the ground as a kid, she'd yell at me to pick it up and make a big scene in public, it was embarrasing. it worked. I don't litter.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
lack of parenting, lack of respect.
If my mom saw me drop something on the ground as a kid, she'd yell at me to pick it up and make a big scene in public, it was embarrasing. it worked. I don't litter.
You ever get the pinch? You know, the one where their fingernails touched through your hide? Parents nowadays would gasp at the horror, but that stuff worked.

There's a whole lot of people out there that have no respect for anything, or anyone.

Someone asked me the other day, if I had the money would I do the cryogenics freezer thing. They were shocked when I told them that no, I had no desire to live forever. I'm disgusted at the way people act now, and have no illusion that it's going to get better. Why would I want to stick around to see it? We are practically devolving as we speak.

Sorry they're tossing their trash in your yard.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
kylerimb
Quote:
...Perhaps they don't realize that if they throw it down, it doesn't just get removed by magic, someone has to pick it up...
they know that someone has to pick it up...but they know that person is likely not going to be them. so what do they care?

like others have said, lack of respect which is probably from lack of parenting.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
aleria
It's as everyone else says, flat out lack of parenting. Parents just don't give a F about actually raising their kids any more, let alone raising them right. And let it be the end of the world to actually take a hand to one of these disrespectful little monster's butts when they act up. It's ridiculous.

They all need a good spanking so they can't sit down for a week, I don't care their age. Their parents all need the same along with some classes to teach them how to do the one and only job they have when they decided to pop these things out and unleash them upon society and this world.

Honestly I think people should have to get a license just to have kids. Irresponsible? Financially unstable? Mentally unstable? Immature? Nope, sorry, no kids for you. You should have to prove you are actually capable of raising a child before you are allowed to have one. I mean come on, there are more rigorous checks on people looking to adopt a pet from a shelter than there are on parents.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Metachrosis
There is an old saying about "parenting"
There has never been a formal book written on the specific topic,several
thousand redundant "topic" based offerings never made it to Best Seller lists
these last few decades.
Think "Yahoo News" to be comparative in content and its a no brainer.
For one to properly self access ones parenting "ability"
One must look at the offspring of their offspring.

How are your kids,kids fairing in society?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
no, I had no desire to live forever.
My sons are not good housekeepers. But they would not toss trash in my yard because they know what would happen. I'm hoping their housekeeping ability will improve, maybe when they get married and get kids and a home.

I understand that I have no control over the last bell. But I'd love to stick around long enough to have grandchildren, and to laugh in my kids faces when they complain that their kids don't make their beds, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
JColt
Quote:
But I'd love to stick around long enough to have grandchildren, and to laugh in my kids faces when they complain that their kids don't make their beds, etc.
When my oldest daughter bought a home the first time I went to see it I started turning on all the lights and turned the ac down. She goes, Hey that costs money! I said paybacks a B isn't it? She turned red and grinned, lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!