More input wanted... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
DAND
Question More input wanted...

What could show promoters provide or do at future shows/events that would make them more successful for all parties (i.e. promoter, vendor and customer) involved?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
What could show promoters provide or do at future shows/events that would make them more successful for all parties (i.e. promoter, vendor and customer) involved?
Let me take a stab at this.

1) Show Promoters should be honest and be real about the show. I have seen people use the words super large show and the best show around then when you vend the walk through is less then 400. That is not a walk through that can support 30 vendors. But if a show promoter is honest and real then a vendor may look at it in a different light. May know I will have to stick this out for awhile.

2) Just becuase you can put on a show does not mean you should or that it will work. Some states have no shows others have 4 5 or even 6 a month. This alone will kill the smaller shows or even the newer shows. Why? Becuase the older shows have the vendors and the people know about it already.

3) Location Location Location. I think Location is more imprtant then some not all but some advertisements. If you are spending 800 a month on ads. Take half that money and get a better location...

4) Make sure vendors are not bringing in junk. Nothing worse then a vendor having dirty cages and animals on their tables. This kills the show all together.

5) vendors need to make money to go to shows people need the vendors there to want to go. It is a catch 22. Some show promoters think they are doing a justice when putting on a show. But think about the vendors that do 70+ shows a year. There is a lot of over head in doing shows. I know the Columbus Cleveland weekend costs me gas, food, hotel, table fees, and other minor things. That can be up to 400 to 500 just that weekend in costs. Yeah I could eat fast food and lower that total. But some shows cost an average of 200 bucks with gas food and table fees for a vendor that gets 2 or three tables.

What does all this mean. When it is crutch time the vendors will cut shows out they lose money at or break even at. It is a lot of stress on animals to go to shows not to be sold and go to their new homes.

So how can this be fixed. Lets review a few things a show must have to make it.

1) vendors
--I have ideas to get vendors. If a show promoter would like to contact me I am more then willing to go over these ideas. I thought about putting on a show myself about 2 years ago. But too many shows stopped me. But I do have ideas to get vendors. I will list one. If you are starting a show. Offer the vendors that stick with you the first 6 months a discount on tables for aslong as they come. Could be buy a table get a table. But after 6 months your walk through should carry the costs of a show. If it is not then the show should be cut...............

2) Walk through
--TV, Radio, Newspaper all cost. But a great way to advertise. But there is a better way. And it is free. The vendors should help advertise the show in their ads if they can!!! Word to mouth is the best advertisement there is. Get with herp societies advertise on every free classsified you can. Rich allows you to advertise here free in the show and events forum!!! Offer door prizes. You show up you get a ticket for a door prize. I have donated prizes many times to friends shows. I LOVE IT!! Find a nitch to bring people.

3) Rodent and feeder person(crickets and what not)
--This is a must or a show will die. You say yeah right. look at every show that has been around. They all have crickets and rodents(frozen and live) it brings the reptile people becuase they get the food for the herps cheaper!!!! This is a must and may even be the most important thing over vendors!!! IMO they are more important then any other vendor!!!

4) Caging and suppliy vendor
--This is right up there with rodents. If a person is buying their first pet. You do not want to send them to the petco down the road right? get that dry good supplier or fail

5) CBB Only or WC and CB
Choice you will have to make but CBB are a lot better but we all know not everything everyone likes is CB now. I say clean animals and healthy animals are a must though

6) Parking
--Do I have to say it. There needs to be good parking for the vendors to unload!!! And good parking for the customers. Overlooked at many shows.

7) Website
--A website is a great and easy way to get a lot of info to a lot of people! Use the net. It is the way of life today!

See a show is not as easy as getting a building and asking people to come. I mean there are 13 shows I could go to a month 13!!!! Lets do the math. 13 shows with only 8 days (counting the sat and sun) to have them on that means I miss 5 a month. Half them shows do not even get 400 walk through and they have been going on for sometime. This falls on the promoter!! So I have to cut out atleast 5 shows. if I want my weekends full. But wait. The show promoters do not work together and they schedule shows on each others days. What does this mean. I will go to the shows that have the best chance for me to make money and sell animals. So this cuts my shows down from 6/7 to around 4 to 5 a month.

This is why you see a vendor at a show then not the next one. They have to go where they can make some money. There is a lot of over head that goes into these show. Most of these vendors work full time jobs during the week and then work all weekend at the shows.

For anyone that thinks vending is easy. Get up at 4AM drive 3 hours. Unload and set up your table. Stand there for 6 to 8 hours on your feet. I do not sit becuase I think it is not right to sit at a show. My opinion not that I think others are wrong just I will not sit Then after that break down repack the animals. Load up the van or truck or car. Drive another 2 to 4 hours get a hotel and hope to get 4 hours sleep. Oh you have to take all the animals in the hotel so unload again. Get up load the animals back up drive to the show. Unload and set up. Stand another 7 to 8 hours then pack up again. Drive 2 to 4 hours home. Then unpack the animals. Oh no you have to work in the morning. Better get that 4 hours in or you will regret it. Lots of people say I go on mini vacations every weekend............ If that is a vacation....... WOW!

All this goes into it. Every aspect. Promoters have to understand this. They have to give the vendors a reason to come. Just another show does not cut it now a days.

Hope I did not upset to many people................

Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
densnake1
Another thing to add on. The admission fees for customers to enter the show. A family of four will spend $24 to $32 just to walk in the door. I think this keeps the more casual/newer customers from coming in the door to look around. Maybe they purchase something maybe they don't but they are still potential customers. Yes, I know the promoters need the door and table money to pay for the hall, but $6 to $8 per person gets a little expensive. I never said I had a solution, LOL, just giving more input. Take care.
Dennis

Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
DAND
Here is a big bitch I have with promoters, allowing customers to walk around and sell things. If they want to sell things the they should pay for a table just like the rest of us do.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Shadera
That sounds reasonable to me David. I mean, where's the incentive to pay to sell your stuff if you can do it for free?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!