has anyone ever heard of armadillo lizards? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #1
6chickenlane
Question has anyone ever heard of armadillo lizards?

has anyone ever heard of armadillo lizards?if you have then tell me everything you can about them.im looking to get a reptile.my choices so far are,leopard geckos, bearded dragons,armadillo lizards,and kingsnakes.can anyone tell me how to put a picture up on my email?

Old 08-01-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
The Reptile House
I think you would be very happy with all but the Armidillo Lizzard, I had had one and although they are really neat looking they like to hide amd burrow and are not that much of ones liking to be held. If anyone has has any other experience with them then please let him know. I alo own and breed all of the others you are interested in. I myself prefer the Bearded dragon for pets over the rest btu that is just my one opinion. leopard geckos are great but if you are loking for something that you can handel and take ariound with you everywhere I would recomend the dragons. There upkeep and caging is more involved than the rest-higher heat, different lighting etc. There is a big difference in what you are looking at getting.

Good luck with what you choose.

Shanell Sepulveda
The Reptile House
Orange California

Old 08-01-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
The Reptile House
Found this hopes it helps

Armadillo Lizard
Genus: Cordylus
Species: cataphractus

The nostrils of the Armadillo Lizard are formed into little tubes. The tubes help the Armadillo Lizards smell for food or predators. A ground dwelling lizard, it is active in the daytime and feeds on a wide variety of insects, as well as on spiders and other invertebrates. The head of the Armadillo Lizard is narrow in shape. It is fairly slow moving animal, but when the Armadillo Lizard thinks or knows it's in danger, it runs as fast as it can go for cover.

The body length is 15-17 inches, the tail is 14-16 inches long, and it weighs 8-17 lbs. Its back legs are a little shorter than the front. The head, body, and club-like tail are all flattened, enabling it to wriggle easily into rock crevices for shelter. It may also adopt a curious defensive posture when threatened by rolling itself up like an Armadillo, with its tail tightly held in its jaws, presenting a spiny ring to the predator and protecting the softer, vulnerable belly area. That's why its called the Armadillo Lizard. The armored Armadillo Lizard has protection all around its body so that predators can't harm any of its under parts. Also squeeze into small places for escape. Another protection is their spiny scales that go all the way around its body. Their tails and spines also can be used to defend themselves as well. The Armadillo Lizard can be found in the deserts of the southern tip of Africa.

The Armadillo Lizard has its babies in the late summer. Only 1 or 2 babies are born during that time. The Armadillo Lizards stay in family groups, and they will all live in the same rock crevice. When the lizards give birth, the babies are live-born, but do have a thin membranous shell that they need to break through.

The Armadillo Lizard is a prey animal. It is preyed upon by bigger and stronger predators, such as humans, etc. The Armadillo Lizard's armor is most usefull against many birds, mammals, and other reptiles.

The Armadillo Lizard is not an endangered species although it does have a lot of enemies to protect itself from. The Cape Provincial Ordinance helps the Armadillo Lizards when their injured or sick. That way the Armadillo lizards can be less endangered.

Zach S. 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bibliography:

"Desert Biome.", http://mbgnet.mobot.org/sets/desert/animals/arma.htm.

"Cordylus Cataphractus.", http://home.swipnet.se/tallbo/andra_...luscataphractu
s.htm

"Lizards of the World; Armadillo.", http://www.discovery.com/exp/lizards/low_armadillo.html

"Reaction to danger", http://www.britannica.com/eb/article...&hook=421391#4
21391.hook

Photo credit: Pictures from Bill Branch´s "Field Guide to the Snakes and other Reptiles of Southern Africa."- Cape Town : Struik Publishers,326s, BRANCH WILLIAM R.(1988g), page 157 - 164.

***AND THIS AS WELL***

World Biomes
Plants
Animals
Climate
Name: Armadillo Lizard
Proper Name: Cordylus spp.
Substrate: 3 inches of Coconut Husk or Bark
Max Length: 10 in
printer friendly version

Talk about the Armadillo Lizard on our forums!
Lighting
Use a full spectrum UVB light; this will output good UV rays for calcium absorption so that it can digest its food better. The UVB light should be used for 8-10 hours of ultraviolet lighting. This can be maintained by using a timer.
Temperature
The daytime temperature should be between 75-85 degrees. The Basking area should have a temperature from 90-100 degrees. At nighttime the temperature should be 70-75 degrees.
Humidity
Humidity should be at 45%
Food
Crickets and wax worms dusted with calcium. adults should be fed every other day, juveniles can be fed 2 times daily since they will be growing.
Water
Shallow dish of water. Water must be changed daily. Also daily misting of cage will help keep humidity up and simulate natural water intake.
Housing
29-gallon tank is minimum. Screen Lid required for air exchange. These reptiles need a temperature gradient so therefore you will need a basking spot and a cooler area. Also you will need somewhere where the reptile can hide, this will decrease the stress level. Climbing branches should also be available.
Number Per Enclosure
One male per enclosure.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
6chickenlane
Talking thanks

thanks.i think i should choose a leopard gecko.all i have is a 20gallon tank.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:27 PM   #5
The Reptile House
Do you need a few care sheets to go off of

let me know and I will post some for you.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:54 PM   #6
snakester
Thumbs up Hi

I have two female Armadillo Lizards and love them! I think you would like them if got them! But they are addictive! I a now looking to get a breeding colony of them!!! Also They are VERY fun to watch!!!
I have not hade Leaos but can see how they would be a good pick to! and also plane to get a pair or two of them some time!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!