How do I seperate pinheads from the soil? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
aminalcwakerz
How do I seperate pinheads from the soil?

Please post! thx

Old 02-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
varnyard
I use paper towel rolls. It is best not to have anything else in the box. The pins will hide in the rolls.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Diggy415
egg cartons work well too.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
aminalcwakerz
ok thx

Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
gerridrews
ok i have a system that works better than all of those, take a ice cream bucket the plastic kind. Take a knife and puncture little round holes in the side all around the bucket. Place this in the container that you want your crickets in, dump your laying substarte in the bucket all the way to the top the crickets will climb out the holes on the sides and climb over the top. Gerri
I can send ya a pic of this if you want

Old 06-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
CJFISHES
The humid-incubator container and medium provides the much needed moisture to the pinhead crickets. Leave them in the container for 4-7 days. They will grow faster and healthier. If you take them out too soon, you may notice that a lot of pinheads die, but many do have success separating early as well. After a week put them into the rearing container and use anything to ramp them out of the medium. Some will go back in even, just be patient. With some yellow-squash or collard greens in the tub, your crickets will be happy to get out.
I should mention that too much humidity will drown the crickets in the droplets on the wall, and in the medium. I would add a new lid with a partially-open top a day or two after they all hatched.

CJ

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!