My favorite clowns-gold stripe maroon & Sebae - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
reptilebreeder
My favorite clowns-gold stripe maroon & Sebae

I like the Maroon Clowns, especially the Gold Striped ones. Here's mine with his Sebae Anemone.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
SPJ
Very nice.

What type of lighting are you using?

Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
reptilebreeder
400 mh and vho actinics x4 on a 60 gallon.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
SPJ
Any temp issues from the MH?

Old 04-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Any temp issues from the MH?
My first reply (that may seem cryptic to non reefers), was cause I was heading out the door.
For some who may be searching for info. I'll expand a bit.
My setup is a 400 watt Metal Halide 10k, with VHO-48" 110watt Actinic 03 bulb x4, with an ice cap 660 that slowly brings the actinics on and slowly off again at night. Total of 840 watts.

Steve, I'm hot blooded or something so in the winter I have my heater set at like 65 and in summer around 75, so the ambient temp around here (plus some fans), helps keep the aquarium temp from getting to bad. Still it hovers right around 82 in the summer which is borderline. My kids hate me cause they say it's to cold. I always tell them it is easier for them to warm up a bit (warm clothing, or glass of hot chocolate), than it is for me to cool down, especially if I'm already in shorts and a t-shirt.

I've noticed your posts in this section of the forum, so I'll run this question by you. I love my VHO's but, to some they are ancient, anyway I've been thinking of setting up a smaller aquarium and going with different lights. Probably the T-5's. Have you any experience with these, or heard anything about them?

Old 04-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
SPJ
Personally, I prefer the VHO's over power compacts. I guess I'm old school but they have a much truer actinic. I run VHO's myself. I have wanted to upgrade to MH, but even with the fans, it would be very difficult to keep the temps at acceptable levels in the Summer. Ice Caps are great ballasts.

Quote:
Probably the T-5's. Have you any experience with these, or heard anything about them?
Funny, you should mention the T-5's. I have actually been looking into the lately. The output is not as high as VHO's but supposed to be more than a regular bulb.

Here is a link to a site that has some great prices on T-5 bulbs and setups as well as other lighting options.
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ATS&Category=9

I was thinking of trying a 4 bulb hood with mushrooms to see how it works.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 AM   #7
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Personally, I prefer the VHO's over power compacts. I guess I'm old school but they have a much truer actinic. I run VHO's myself. I have wanted to upgrade to MH, but even with the fans, it would be very difficult to keep the temps at acceptable levels in the Summer. Ice Caps are great ballasts. .
Me too. As "ancient" as VHO is, I love them. I like the colors under my lighting system. Not real keen on the PC's myself though I've thought about a 5 or 10 gallon micro with some Mushrooms and other low light stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Funny, you should mention the T-5's. I have actually been looking into the lately. The output is not as high as VHO's but supposed to be more than a regular bulb.

Here is a link to a site that has some great prices on T-5 bulbs and setups as well as other lighting options.
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ATS&Category=9

I was thinking of trying a 4 bulb hood with mushrooms to see how it works.
LOL, I guess we are in about the same place as far as looking into T-5's. I've got auqatraders bookmarked already. You should check out these sites also (assuming I know how to link). I'm looking at doing a 20gallon so either 4x24" or 6x24"
The first site (hopefully) has a 6x24", and up to 8x 48".
http://sunlightsupply.com/aquarium/p...ture.shtml#bw2

The second site has a nice 4X24"
http://www.championlighting.com/prod...cat=633&page=1

Though the first site has a 6x (for more gross wattage), I may still go with the champion 4x, as it has the German parabolic 99% reflectors, as well as a fan, and 2x lunar lights, it doesn't appear the 6x sunlight model has fan or lunar lights. I think the net wattage of the 4x with a better reflector, lunar lights, and fan more than make up for having 2 less bulbs. Plus I'll check out your link see what they got.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:53 AM   #8
reptilebreeder
Between our three sites, I'm definitely hooked on that champion setup. At $175, it's considerably pricier than the others, but I'm really liking the setup. Dual cords, so you can set the actinics for a little longer than the 10k, a fan, 2 lunar lights, an electronic ballast, and champion quality. Sound like a champion sponser
I'm going to look around a bit more, but if nothing really catches my eye, I think I may order that setup.

$175 LOL, paid like $1000 back in the day for my VHO (without the MH) setup.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!