Red Danios - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
Leogirl
NICE! Thanks

Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
Bahamut
Those "red" zebra danios are the side product of a genetics experiment where they performed a genetic recombination to insert a bioluminescent gene from a jellyfish into the danios. They are used in genetics experiments and have only recently entered the pet trade. That is why they suddenly appeared out of nowhere. They are supposed to be patented and all reproduction is illegal under biological patent law. Don't think that is gonna work though, now that they have gone public. If you breed em just be very careful where you try to sell them. I am not making this up, they were originally patented as glofish. How much did you pay for yours? They were kinda expensive.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #13
Rebel Dragons
Where did you get your information on them? I would be interested to read up on them a little further.

I paid $2.50 each for the ones I got. It was quite a deal compaired to my local pet store who's selling them for $9.99 each.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
SPJ
Quote:
Those "red" zebra danios are the side product of a genetics experiment where they performed a genetic recombination to insert a bioluminescent gene from a jellyfish into the danios. They are used in genetics experiments and have only recently entered the pet trade. That is why they suddenly appeared out of nowhere. They are supposed to be patented and all reproduction is illegal under biological patent law. Don't think that is gonna work though, now that they have gone public. If you breed em just be very careful where you try to sell them. I am not making this up, they were originally patented as glofish. How much did you pay for yours? They were kinda expensive.
Bahamut,
The bioluminescent ones you are referring to are different from the red ones posted here. The ones you are referring to only show their coloring under a blacklight. These are red no matter what light you use.
The bioluminescent ones have been for sale around here locally for some time now (at a price tag of $7 per fish). They only look good under blacklight though. Without it, they look white.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Bahamut,
The bioluminescent ones you are referring to are different from the red ones posted here. The ones you are referring to only show their coloring under a blacklight. These are red no matter what light you use.
The bioluminescent ones have been for sale around here locally for some time now (at a price tag of $7 per fish). They only look good under blacklight though. Without it, they look white.
Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I was starting to wonder if he was talking about a diffrent fish. I went and got a black light and tried it on the red danios just to check. The black light does make them look quite interesting but it doesn't make them glow.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:50 AM   #16
Bahamut
Sorry if I caused any confusion. I thought they were the same. My bad.

Jeremiah

Old 04-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #17
SPJ
No problem.

Any input in the forum is appreciated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!