Opinion On Panacur!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #11
StinaUIUC
Panacur treats more parasites than any other wormer out there and is also the safest...however it is getting overused...so try to get a fecal done and make sure there is actually something there to treat. Dan I believe the powder dilutes more easily in water than the paste does...and its much easier to make a smaller amount with. It was also recently approved for over the counter selling...though I haven't seen it anywhere...it might be out there available as easily as the equine paste.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #12
aimee_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Roger Klingenberg has an excellent book out, Understanding Reptile Parasites.
I also use this and a couple other microbiology books in case I need help distinguishing things through a microscope when I do fecal checks for my animals. That microbiology class & lab came in handy !! That's an excellent book which I also purchased for $6.25 on Amazon.com.

I also agree with StinaUIUC - the powder is easier to dilute than the paste IMO.

This thread is an excellent source of information which I just bookmarked Thanks for sharing the info & opinions

Old 09-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaUIUC
It was also recently approved for over the counter selling...though I haven't seen it anywhere...it might be out there available as easily as the equine paste.
Try this: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...6-0a5b069cc1f0.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:07 PM   #14
critical bill
You can make the powdered form by drying the paste and crushing it up. Its easy to do and works the same.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
Junkyard
The paste is tricky to dilute, I use warm water and mix it really well, it then needs to be used quickly otherwise it will clump back up and settle at the bottom of the cup.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #16
groovygeckos
Well thats good , I just assumed because powder is sometimes harder to mix in than a liquid (the paste) .

To get the right concentration mine was something like 1 g. paste to 10 ml. water , so it mixed real easy.

I had put it in a small glass bottle with the water , stired w/ a toothpick , then would just shake it really well .

Old 09-27-2005, 11:38 PM   #17
Gekkonida
Get the liquid float and forget the paste and the powder. Too messy and to easy to make errors. Talk to your vet about getting it in the liquid form.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #18
Xelda
I don't want to sound negative here, but that Klingenberg book and its accompanying chart is worthless if you're trying to learn how to ID parasites. It's a good introduction to parasites and gives you an idea of how they're spread, but that's about it. It doesn't show you that giardia trophozoites have two nuclei whereas the giardia cysts have four nuclei. It doesn't explain to you how vastly different the same species of parasites can appear in various stages of its life cycle. These are stages you have to learn to visually recognize under a microscope if you're going to rely on yourself to do fecal tests. When you consider the abundance of parasites that infect reptiles--parasites expanding across dozens of phyla--there is a lot more to learn than what you can derive from choppy black and white photos.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:37 AM   #19
groovygeckos
I agree , but thats if your lucky enough to have a vet that will write you a 'script' .

My 'vet' has tried to have me make a $40-50 appointment (which could only further stress the animal) so HE can dose an animal instead of the way ive done it for years . Which is to get a script (if needed) after fecals and give the meds at home . Ok end rant LOL

Old 09-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #20
Gekkonida
If your vet is more concerned about getting the $$ Dan to do the float I would get a different vet. I had to change vets for the same reason, but once I brought out my new vet to do a general visit and explained that I couldn't possibly take all my geckos to him he was more than happy to provide me with all the extra help I needed. Worth a shot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!