Goofy observation - static electricity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
WebSlave
Goofy observation - static electricity

I was just thinking on this the other day, so I asked Connie about it to see if she has been having the same experience. Normally every Winter, Connie will slap me before allowing me to touch her, or she touching me. Sounds kind of kinky, doesn't it? But no, the reason for this is that she just HATES to get a static electric shock when we touch each other, so this helps dissipate the charge by masking it with the brief sharp smack of skin on skin. Or at least, so she says......

Anyway, so far this year, we have had NO static electricity whatsoever to deal with. None. Normally I go to bed long after Connie has retired, so I would take off my clothes in complete darkness so as not to disturb her sleep. While doing that I would often be rewarded with a display of static electricity sparks running all through my clothes as I removed them. I could actually hear the crackling of the sparks at the same time. But no, not had a single incidence of that at all this year. And Connie concurs. She hasn't had any static problems neither.

No static shocks sliding on or off the seats of the vehicles, neither.

Quite frankly, I don't have a clue about why no static electricity here at all this Winter. It's not like it is any more humid inside nor outside the house. And nothing else has changed that I am aware of. Heck, for all I know, old age just makes a person resistant or repels static electricity. Just never noticed this sort of thing before.

Just one of those odd observations, I guess, to make me scratch my head over...

Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Changed your underwear?

(I actually mean maybe you could be using cotton instead of man-made.....)

Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
WebSlave
Nope. Been wearing the same sort of garments for years now. During the winter months I wear sort of boxer shorts with pajama style long pants overtop, and a long sleeve shirt. So the fabric itself hasn't changed.

I guess working around electonics much of my life, I've just paid attention to static electricity a LOT. Force of habit I will tend to touch something metallic to ground myself before even touching the electronics in my home theater system or my computers.

The sparks are just gone.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post

The sparks are just gone.
That's SO SAD.............

Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
That's SO SAD.............
Yeah, age does take it's toll..........

Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
WingedSweetheart
It's been very dry here. I have very long hair. It comes down to the back of my knees. During the winter months I hate it. It clings to everything! I'm always shutting my hair in car doors because it clings to the metal. I get shocked a lot when I touch almost anything. However I do think it is kinda cool in the dark seeing all those little blue sparks. When I brush my hair I can hear the crackle and pops. I should try brushing my hair in the dark.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
WebSlave
Heck, the humidity in my house is 36 percent. That should be PLENTY dry enough for me to generate static.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
AGoodwin
well there's plenty of static here in NH. I cant even get kisses from my dog without getting shocked!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
JColt
I added a humidifier to furnace this year and has helped greatly. Actually Rich, 35% to 45% humidity is just right. Being much colder in Ohio I have mine set at 42%

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!