Boxie beak so overgrown, no nostrils! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Jasmine88
Boxie beak so overgrown, no nostrils!

This rescue that I just got, a Florida Box, has no nare holes. Somehow the beak not only got overgrown, it rippled and the nostrils must have been squeezed tight, you can no longer see where they were, even. The previous owner said that all he did was sit in a corner, I wonder if he had his face pushed into the wall, they had him 25 years, the last few kept in a cat litter pan. He doesn't appear to breath through his mouth, but he must be.
Has anyone seen this before?
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
Helenthereef
Never seen anything like that - I wonder if a vet could bore small breathing holes?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Jasmine88
Boxie Nares

Hi, I'll bet that's possible. I wonder how high the risk of infection would be, of course I could use an antibiotic. I wonder if I should, being that he's most likely been this way for years. I'll have to think about it.
Thanks!
Deb

Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
bigalosu
Poor thing. How could anyone let it get that bad? The nails too. Glad he's found someone to give him the TLC he deserves.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
reconcharlie21
Possible Western Ornate Instead of Florida???

This appears to be more along the lines of a western ornate male box instead of a Florida. I have extensive experience with boxes and by the shape of the shell, pattern, and the issues that you are having it would appear that it isn't a T. Bauri. When I had my ornates, easterns, floridas, 3-toed's, and gulf coasts, I noticed that the ornates tended to get over grown beaks much quicker as well as the nails growing quicker and longer. I hope he gets the TLC he deserves and good luck with him.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Tortugas
How is it doing? The toe nails can be trimmened a bit. Try feeding it on a rock, and give it some cuttlefish bone to chew.

Definitely looks like an Ornate Box Turtle.

Not sure what to do about the nostrils, but if it is not mouth breeding, or having any other difficulty, it is probably going to be fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!