MBK questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
RobertIII
MBK questions

Hey all, I am not new to reptiles but somewhat new to snakes. My wife just recently ordered me a mbk for my b-day. he arrives tomorrow. couple quick questions to make sure I have everything set up for the lil guy.

1) as a hatchling I asuume he will do fine in a 10 gallon for the first year. is this correct?

2) I live in phnx Az, my house temp stays about 80 during the summer and between 70-75 in the winter. do I need a undertank heater?

3) i know people sya newspaper is the best and cheapest substrate. but i was wondering could i use shredded newspaper for the lil guy to hide in? I plan on feeding him in a seperate container.

4) average size is what for a male mbk? i was told about 4-5 feet?

5) the guy i am getting him from is feeding live pinks, how hard will it be to go from live to f/t? and when should i feed him for the first time after i get him?

6) if there is anything else you all think i should know, plz let me know.

thank you

Old 08-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertIII
Hey all, I am not new to reptiles but somewhat new to snakes. My wife just recently ordered me a mbk for my b-day. he arrives tomorrow. couple quick questions to make sure I have everything set up for the lil guy.
First off, welcome to the forum Robert.

Quote:
1) as a hatchling I asuume he will do fine in a 10 gallon for the first year. is this correct?
Yes, a 10 gallon will work.

Quote:
2) I live in phnx Az, my house temp stays about 80 during the summer and between 70-75 in the winter. do I need a undertank heater?
It would be a good idea to make sure the temps are higher than 70 so I would suggest using an UTH.

Quote:
3) i know people sya newspaper is the best and cheapest substrate. but i was wondering could i use shredded newspaper for the lil guy to hide in? I plan on feeding him in a seperate container.
Yes, you could use shredded newspaper for substrate.

Quote:
4) average size is what for a male mbk? i was told about 4-5 feet?
I haven't seen one larger than 4 feet.

Quote:
5) the guy i am getting him from is feeding live pinks, how hard will it be to go from live to f/t? and when should i feed him for the first time after i get him?
It shouldn't be too hard to get it eating f/t. I'd give him a few days (4-5) to get used to his new place before feeding.

Quote:
6) if there is anything else you all think i should know, plz let me know.

thank you
they move quick and if they don't want to be held can "jump" out of your hands. They don't seem to musk like CalKings do so that is a plus. Enjoy your new addition when it arrives.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:19 AM   #3
heathn
Here is one over 5 ft

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to show David an MBK over 5 ft. Enjoy!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
deb22
I just got my girl a couple of weeks ago.

They are really cool snakes.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
heathn
Yes they are!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
norsmis
I have a pair arriving Wednesday from Mike Greathouse. I cant wait to get these guys!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!