New to Tegus - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
aplusreptiles
Question New to Tegus

Hi. I am new to Tegus, but not to reptiles. We just got an Argentine Black and White Tegu. He's a very small baby (still green). And I can't find the answers to some of my questions...

How often am I supposed to be feeding him?
I am currently feeding him on our beardie schedule, which is 3-4 times a day.

How much am I supposed to be feeding him?
I take him out of his cage, put him in a 10 gal, along with some crickets and supers and let him eat as much as he wants. Which is about 6 crickets and 3 supers... we do this 3-4 times a day.

I don't want him to be obese, but I want to make sure he's getting enough, since I know he's a fast growing lizard. I also cut up some hard boiled egg and turkey dogs and put it in a dish in his cage. All of his food items are dusted with calcium.
He has thick substrate for digging, a hide box with slightly moist substrate, a branch to bask on (basking temps 97-99), large water dish to soak in, and a UV light. When he gets a little bigger, we plan on incorporating frozen/thawed rodents into his diet. We do not plan on hibernating him. Oh and he's not even the least bit aggressive, not even when fully warmed up. He's going to the vet next week and getting a fecal done as soon as he eliminates (we have microscope at home for these purposes). He is captive bred, by agama international. We are in the process of buying a house with a 10x10 bedroom, just for him. So he will have plenty of room and is well loved.
Any tips on how to keep him as sweet as he is now?

Also, will my vet be able to probe and tell sex when he gets a bit bigger, or do I just have to wait and see what I got? Any other info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
varnyard
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplusreptiles
Hi. I am new to Tegus, but not to reptiles. We just got an Argentine Black and White Tegu. He's a very small baby (still green). And I can't find the answers to some of my questions...
I will do my best to help you out. Also, welcome to the forums!!

Quote:
How often am I supposed to be feeding him?
I am currently feeding him on our beardie schedule, which is 3-4 times a day.
He needs to be fed once a day. Three or four times a day is not needed with tegus.

Quote:
How much am I supposed to be feeding him?
I take him out of his cage, put him in a 10 gal, along with some crickets and supers and let him eat as much as he wants. Which is about 6 crickets and 3 supers... we do this 3-4 times a day.
This is fine, but once a day will be much better. Also he needs a varity in his diet. Here is a care sheet that will help you with this: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=78209

Quote:
I don't want him to be obese, but I want to make sure he's getting enough, since I know he's a fast growing lizard. I also cut up some hard boiled egg and turkey dogs and put it in a dish in his cage. All of his food items are dusted with calcium.
He has thick substrate for digging, a hide box with slightly moist substrate, a branch to bask on (basking temps 97-99), large water dish to soak in, and a UV light. When he gets a little bigger, we plan on incorporating frozen/thawed rodents into his diet.
Pinkies would be fine added to his diet now. I do not like the turkey dogs due to the high fat content. Ground turkey would be much better.

Quote:
We do not plan on hibernating him. Oh and he's not even the least bit aggressive, not even when fully warmed up. He's going to the vet next week and getting a fecal done as soon as he eliminates (we have microscope at home for these purposes). He is captive bred, by agama international. We are in the process of buying a house with a 10x10 bedroom, just for him. So he will have plenty of room and is well loved.
Any tips on how to keep him as sweet as he is now?
Here is a great link to help you with getting him tame, as well as keeping him tame: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=83282

Quote:
Also, will my vet be able to probe and tell sex when he gets a bit bigger, or do I just have to wait and see what I got? Any other info and advice would be greatly appreciated.
A vet can probe him, but telling the sex in young tegus is very hard. Tegus are easy to sex after they reach three feet long. We are also more than glad to help you!!

Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Rebel Dragons
I would also avoid the hot dogs. Most hot dogs have red dyes in them which are bad for almost all reptiles.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
aplusreptiles
Yeah, we only did that for the first day. The caresheet we got said to feed him hot dogs, pizza, bagels! That's why I wanted to ask around and see what everyone else thought.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Wolfy-hound
HOt dogs, pizza and bagels? I think you got MY caresheet for ME not tegus! LOL. I'm getting my first tegu on tuesday, and I can'T WAIT!! Thanks Bobby.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
aplusreptiles
At least I know better! Other people may not and it'd be sad to see what their tegu would be like.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Wolfy-hound
Yeah, I can tell your tegu is going to be a GREAT tegu! You care so much about what is proper and right and best for him, getting a house with a room for him? Not many people think that way! I can't wait to watch your growing up and becoming the baby of the hosue!
Wolfy

Old 09-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
aplusreptiles
Yeah. We just love him to death! We only want what's best and for him to be happy and healthy. I will post some pics of him soon.
I did have one more question. What about hibernation? I don't want him to be unable to breed just because we skipped a year. And what about the hemisphere thing? Should he hibernate in the summer or winter? He's only a month old.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
varnyard
He will start hibernating soon. He should start slowing down on feeding soon. As for the hemisphere, in Argentina they have winter when we have summer. But this should not have anything to do with your tegu. It would make a difference if it was a import.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
aplusreptiles
Ok. That's what I thought. He's been sleeping under his hide box for the last day and a half. So, I'll just leave him be unless he decides to come out. If he hides for a month, after that is when I cool him down to 60's?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!