Pride... apparently nonexistent? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
tinmantribe5
Rock on Kyle have a nice day.
sincerly the Tinman

Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #22
MikeCurtin
Sigh...with any luck, one day our government will also be controlling our healthcare.

*ducks*

Old 09-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
Tiger Lilly
It used to REALLY bug me to see so many gramatical errors in the forums and sale ads.
As I've gotten older, though, I find myself not caring quite so much. There are too many other things in this world that demand more of my attention than being the grammar police. I guess the older I get, the more I realize what should demand more of my time...and my emotions. I will admit to even stooping so low as to not capitalize my I's when I am in a less formal setting. Heavens to Betsy, I have even started using internet-speak in chat rooms and between friends!
As a personal choice, though, I will always try to be grammatically correct when in more formal settings. I will not, however, pick on anyone else for their incorrect spellings or grammatical mistakes. Life is too short for that, IMHO!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #24
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
It used to REALLY bug me to see so many gramatical errors in the forums and sale ads.
As I've gotten older, though, I find myself not caring quite so much. There are too many other things in this world that demand more of my attention than being the grammar police. I guess the older I get, the more I realize what should demand more of my time...and my emotions. I will admit to even stooping so low as to not capitalize my I's when I am in a less formal setting. Heavens to Betsy, I have even started using internet-speak in chat rooms and between friends!
As a personal choice, though, I will always try to be grammatically correct when in more formal settings. I will not, however, pick on anyone else for their incorrect spellings or grammatical mistakes. Life is too short for that, IMHO!
Don't you mean:

Life is too short for that, in my honest opinion.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #25
Tiger Lilly
Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
Don't you mean:

Life is too short for that, in my honest opinion.
I meant, in my HUMBLE opinion...

Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #26
shrap
Quote:
I will admit to even stooping so low as to not capitalize my I's when I am in a less formal setting. Heavens to Betsy, I have even started using internet-speak in chat rooms and between friends!
You hit the nail on the head there Miss Troi. Location, location, location.

I may drop an F bomb (or 20) when hanging out with friends, but I'm sure not going to drop an F bomb during dinner at my grandmas house.

Location, location, location.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #27
NorthernRegius.com
I had a highly technical career (aviation meteorologist) in the Air Force - we're the worst at acronyms. Even in the military where the acronym reigns supreme- we'd have to spell terms out to non-weather folks.

In keeping reptiles there's more than a few technical terms that would seem strange to outsiders too. I go out of my way to consider who I'm interacting with... when I speak or type. Even though I'm a college graduate who speaks 3 languages; I am dyslexic. Spell checker is my friend, but it doesn't catch all. An effort to be coherent is nice & I try to provide that as well.

Sadly, I have read many a post that cast doubt not on the grammar of the poster, but on their integrity. That is much worse IMHO

Old 09-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #28
DAND
Quote:
I meant, in my HUMBLE opinion...
See, if you had typed it out, you wouldn't have been misunderstood.

All joking aside, some of us folks do not know or have the desire to learn internet chat / abbreviations. And there are a lot of folks who will take the time to try to decipher posts such as these.

I agree Sammy, location is they key.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
MDC_Ophiuchus
This is an issue that sometimes bugs me as well. I can understand the occasional typo, especially while you're on some form of instant messenger or in a chatroom speaking with other people "live" in the moment. But when you are making a post (or a sales ad), I really do feel you should take the time to do a quick spell check before clicking "post" or "submit."

The whole "there/their/they're" thing and similar stuff...come on, that's stuff we learn in elementary school, folks. It's not like it's algebra or microbiology or anything.

[NOTE: this is all barring ESL cases, of course. I'm mainly talking about Americans who grew up in America.]

I will admit, when I see ads that say "Breaded dragons for sell," that really irks me.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
MDC_Ophiuchus
Just for kicks, does anyone know what one of the most commonly misspelled words in the English language is?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!