Blind Gecko...Need you Advice ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
AgirlWithaDream
Unhappy Blind Gecko...Need you Advice ?

Hey! Thanks for reading this. I have had a Leopard Gecko for about 2 years now. I love him alot and am sad to see him be so sick. He got a eye infection in one eye that soon spread to another. We took him to a vet and they gave him special reptile eye cream and some kind of medicine. They told me to feed him baby food through a tube to help him regain his strength. His eyes dont look infected like they were anymore however he is still blind and is not taking anything other than baby food. I have heard alot of peoples leopard geckos get eye infections and become blind. What did you do? Did they ever recover? Ive heard of putting lizards to sleep but I really want that to be the last resort He doesnt appear to be suffereing but is it cruel to keep giving him baby food like that? Is that something they can live off of for a long period of time. Thanks to all who read this and respond

Old 04-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
Jenny, you may be able to hand feed him mealies or crickets with a pair of tweezers. It may also be possible for him to eat from a bowl. I would keep his enclosure as simple as possible. A good humid hide a water bowl and a food bowl. Keep the temps alittle on the higher side 90-92. With a lot of work you can help him to adjust but it will be hard. What is the current set up like??

Old 04-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
AgirlWithaDream
Hey! thank u so much for ur reply. My leopard gecko is in a 20 gal tank with uvB bulb and water bowl on cool side and a house to get in on the other. He also has a bigger thing in there he has always climbed on and is still able to even though he is blind. I use paper towels for substrate because its easier to clean. we are giving him meat and fruit babyfood to try to keep his strength up. We tried in the beginning to force feed him crickets and meetworms but he would not take it. We are going to try that again though. I really do hope it will work. I just dont want him to suffer at all. the first vet i took him to they did were more of a dog vet even though they SAID they delt with some lizards, They gave me cream that only worsened his eyes. Just advice to all those who have lizards...its best to take ur reptile to a vet that specializes in reptiles. I took him to a better vet and they seemed to think he might have more of a chance to survive with strong medicine and feeding babyfood. I hope he will get better. thanks again for ur post. any more advice is appreciated!

Old 04-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
aliceinwl
If he's licking the baby food, I agree with Jeremy thaat you could get him onto meal worms or crickets. Get a pair of forceps and smash / behead the bug and squeeze out some guts. Usually when they get to licking the guts they'll go ahead an take the whole bug. One other thing to add, try to keep everything in the same spot since he's relying on memory to navigate.

-Alice

Old 04-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
I hope he does better for you! One thing too is that he may be getting spoiled, being hand fed baby food, if his tummy is full he may not desire to try to get other food on his own. Maybe if you cut back on the baby food a little and get him on to the mealies and put him at his dish so he can remember where they are after a while.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
geckogrl6
I have a little blind girl that does just fine. I think she may have a very little sight in one eye, but she hunts crickets by sound and touch. She hearsd me drop them in, and then she sits still until a cxricket gets too close and she feels the antenae, then she gets it! also, she will go in her hide and eat the crickets when they come in. maybe you could try some feeders that have pretty powerful smells, like roaches or butter worms or pinkies. I agree that leos don't usually take themselves off of baby food, he will need to be "motivated" read: hungry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!