Egg Issue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
perefalcon
Egg Issue

Ok, Xavier could tell me what was going on so he said someone here might

I have an egg that's on day 31, for about a week or so, it has been developing a spot where the shell seems thinner. Now I know it's a viable egg, at the spot I can see the baby move all over, I'm just concerned. Did mommy just not have enough calcium or does the leo absorb the calcium as it grows????

I'm hoping that someone in here has seen this

Old 03-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Gregg M
Your female needs to be supplemented better especially if she is a breeding female.... A developing leo will not absorb enough cal to make the egg transparent.... You need to give your female more calcium.... Good luck....

Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
perefalcon
she gets plenty at all times, plus the dish in her tank, it's without D3, maybe I should mix in a bit with D3, her food is always dusted with calcium

Old 03-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
BalloonzForU
Tonya,

Is this one of the ones that dented on you? Did you place a moist paper towel over it?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
perefalcon
no this one's been nice and plump from day 1, the one that dented, I put more water in the vermiculite and it filled right back out

Old 03-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
BalloonzForU
The reason I asked, is sometimes when you put a moist paper towel on top of them to help them plump up the shell will become see through, like a piece of paper when wet, but when the paper towel is removed the shell dries and you can't see through it any more.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
perefalcon
ohhh, well this cup is very moist, but the other egg is fine, it also has 2 holes in the lid, so there's no danger of being overly moist

Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
USAGECKOS
When you took the egg out of the container after the female laid it, was it stuck to the bottom or anything like that, that would make you have to pull it off and maybe part of the shell was left there?

Old 03-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
perefalcon
Oh no, I found that one like 5 minutes after she laid it, she hadn't even covered it all the way yet

Old 03-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
Gregg M
I am still going with a supplement issue..... You say she gets plenty, but in your first post you asked if she is not getting enough..... Are you looking for a real answer to your problem or are you just telling the people on the forum your problem????

If you are supplementing her diet correctly, for some reason she is not absorbing the nutriance..... In either case, I think you might need to take a step back and re-evaluate your husbandry....

I can not think of any other reason for there being a lack of calcium in the egg shell other than the female not getting enough calcium from her diet,,,,,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!