Moss for a lay box? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
-JayDog-
Moss for a lay box?

I'm currently using peat moss in all of my humid hides. I was wondering if the moss will be ok for a lay box? Or should I switch it out with some Vermucilite (sp?), Potting Soil, Play Sand or Perlite?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 02-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
progeckos
I use bed-a-beast in my laying boxes. It’s a coconut fiber substrate and works great. I’ve tried moss but the females always laid on the outside of the container and never in the moss. I wouldn’t use sand or perlite. They don’t make a good laying substrate. You can use dirt but make sure it’s unfertilized.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
leaftail
peat moss should be good. I use the ground coco fiber too, but peat moss is very similar in texture for digging. I think Cody was thinking of actual MOSS, or long-strand sphagnum moss, which some people have been using in humid hides lately, and these types of moss are good for humidity but some leos dont like it for laying eggs in because its not "diggable". but Peat Moss should be great. (and Cody, if I'm speaking for you and I'm wrong, then sorry!!!!!!)

Old 02-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
progeckos
Thanks for catching that Laura! I don’t know why but I was thinking of the sphagnum moss. Yup, peat moss should work.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
-JayDog-
Now that you mention it, im not quite sure if I use peat moss or sphagnum moss. The moss itself in the humid hides seems like it would be hard for a leo to dig it up and to cover eggs properly. I'll try the cocoanut fibers. It seems like those fibers would be thinner and lighter then the moss im using.

Thanks guys

Old 02-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Gregg M
Jay, the coconut fibers have a similar consistancy of a nice soft granual dirt..... It is the only stuff I use in hide and lay boxes....... Thats the stuff you want to get.....

Old 02-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #7
Gregg M
I ment to type "granular" instead of granual..... Gotta lay off the snapple ice tea.....LOL

Old 02-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
leaftail
I like a nice granual dirt myself

And instead of paying $4.99 a brick or whatever bed-a-beast is going for these days, I buy CocoLife Brik at a plant nursery for $1.99. (That brand is guaranteed not to have been processed with salt water, which is something to watch out for with coco fiber granual dirt heheh.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!