I have really silly question... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
-JayDog-
I have really silly question...

I apologize ahead of time if this question is really silly or sounds stupid, but I was wondering:

I've heard that female leos will hold onto the sperm after she becomes fertilized the first time. This is how she can have many clutches after she's been removed from the male. If that is true, is it possible that after the two mate, she can hold onto the sperm and then fertilize her eggs when she's ovulating and ready? Even with no male present since the first mating.

The reason why I ask is becuase a female that I tried breeding did not become gravid for the 1+ months that I had her in with the male. It's been about 1.5 - 2 months since she's been seperated from the male and she has eggs developing.

So, am I going nuts and she just has infertile eggs in her? Or could they be fertile?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 03-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JayDog-
If that is true, is it possible that after the two mate, she can hold onto the sperm and then fertilize her eggs when she's ovulating and ready?
Yes, they can do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JayDog-
It's been about 1.5 - 2 months since she's been seperated from the male and she has eggs developing.
So, am I going nuts and she just has infertile eggs in her? Or could they be fertile?
They could definitely be fertile from retained sperm. Although what you're seeing now as "eggs developing" might be ovulation, in which case it would be a good idea to put the male back with her now, to ensure fertile eggs.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
-JayDog-
There is definatly two eggs and an ovulation spot above the eggs. Would it be a safe thing to put the male in with her again, just in case her eggs are in fertile?

Old 03-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
leaftail
What I would do is put him in there for a couple of days but watch them. Because you want to fertilize the ovulating eggs, but you want him out of there when she's ready to lay those existing eggs.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
Its very possible like Laura said, I have had some that I figured didn't mate since they showed no signs of eggs for weeks just lay fertile eggs last week. But I do keep the male in with the female until I see eggs, them I move him out until they are laid then put him back after each clutch is laid.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
geckogrl6
yeah, I'd wait until a day or two after she lays. And her very 1st clutch is likely infertile anyway.
:eatpointe

Old 03-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
dragonflyreptiles
PS no questions are silly!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!