Dropped Tail! Need help. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaftail
why did the leo drop her tail?
To get to the other side.....

No wait, that was the chicken.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:19 PM   #12
Niqui13
Arrow

I had one of my female leo's drop her tail about 6 months ago due to shipping stress. My vet told me to put diluted Hydrogen Peroxide (1 part water:1 part Peroxide) on the tail once a day while it was still moist, to prevent an type of bacterial infection from growing. (Diluting it keeps it from being toxic, because she might lick at her wound.) Once it scabbed over the vet said to use Neosporin to help the tail regenerate quickly. It worked for me, her tail is fully regrown, a little stumpy looking but I don't mind. I think it gives her character!

Old 04-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #13
diablohogs
Quote:
I hate to say this, but I really dont agree with what was said. I would keep her in a clean enclosure w/ paper towels, normal temps, NOT moist. And use a bit of neosporin type ointment WITHOUT pain relief. Works wonders. She'll be fine.
agreed.

sucks about the tail...i hate regens.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #14
Golden Gate Geckos
tail loss

I'm so sorry your gecko lost her tail! I completely agree with Chris on this... keep her on DRY paper towel, put some neosporin/bacitracin/polysporin ointment on the wound, and provide a clean, stress-free environment for her until you see the little pink 'new' tail start to develop. Remember that she no longer has the fat/water reserve from her tail, so she may be vulnerable to infection for a week or two.

Keep in mind that autonomic tail loss is a natural defense for lizards, and although the boney vertebrae from her original tail will be missing, the new tail will provide her with the necessary nutritional reserve storage she will require after it regenerates.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!