has anyone ever gotten in trouble for shipping fedex for not being certified? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
redhood23
has anyone ever gotten in trouble for shipping fedex for not being certified?

has anyone ever gotten in trouble for shipping fedex for not being certified? I used to ship SYR but now that they dont accept snakes I dont know what to do. I have a shipment that needs to go out today and getting certified takes forever. I am shipping instate(texas to texas)

Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
redhood23
what can i do?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
Melinda
I have been in trouble for receiving snakes from an unapproved shipper.

I got a call from the local Fed Ex saying I needed to come pick up my package. When I get there they say they know what's in the box and they will destroy the snakes and eggs because the shipper was not certified. They kept ranting about it being illegal and I had to set them straight about that one. Against policy yes, illegal no. They called corporate and left a message with their lawyer. They told me he would call right back. After 2 hours of waiting, I called corporate and had to beg and plead for my snakes. They finally released them after I promised to never ship or receive without approval.

I don't recommend anyone ship without approval.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
hhmoore
Doing so requires that you go "stealth". No indications that the contents are live. There are posts in the archives from somebody that got nailed for doing that - it's a violation of federal law. I'm sure you've heard of the Lacey Act, even if you aren't familiar with it (It has popped up regularly in the SYR threads). Take the week or two to get certified, instead of risking screwing things up for the rest of us...your customer will understand. (Maybe he won't, but is it worth the possibility of having to deal with Federal charges? Are you making enough on that sale to cover the fine...or even pay the lawyer?)

All it takes is one little rustle to alert somebody that something isn't right...at that point, you're lucky if they just hold the shipment & require you to come get it (they aren't required to do that, btw)

Old 05-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
sinisterserpents1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I have been in trouble for receiving snakes from an unapproved shipper.

I got a call from the local Fed Ex saying I needed to come pick up my package. When I get there they say they know what's in the box and they will destroy the snakes and eggs because the shipper was not certified. They kept ranting about it being illegal and I had to set them straight about that one. Against policy yes, illegal no. They called corporate and left a message with their lawyer. They told me he would call right back. After 2 hours of waiting, I called corporate and had to beg and plead for my snakes. They finally released them after I promised to never ship or receive without approval.

I don't recommend anyone ship without approval.
OMG, They wouldn't really have the right to destroy the snake/eggs would they??

And as far as shipping and not being certified. That's your butt on the line and I wouldn't do it. No one could need a snake that bad, or at least I wouldn't think lol

Old 05-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
garweft
Crazy ain't it.

So does a FedEx certified shipper have any recourse if an employee didn't know about the shipping waiver and destroyed a presumed illegal snake being shipped by a certified FedEx reptile shipper?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
WingedWolf
In spite of their claims, they would only have the right to turn the animal over to a shelter or wildlife rescue, not 'destroy' it.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
hhmoore
Actually, I believe they have the right to shelf the box & take no action - which would still result in the animal's death.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhood23 View Post
what can i do?
Get certified and reschedule the shipment.

I've attached the paperwork your going to need with this post. FedEx's Packaging Test Application, FedEx's Live Harmless Reptile Packaging Guidelines and 50 CFR 14 (Federal labeling requirements - see 14.82).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PKG_Package_Test_Application.pdf (301.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: pdf Live-Reptile-Pkg-Guidelines.pdf (30.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: pdf 50 CFR 14 10.2008.pdf (201.7 KB, 120 views)

Old 05-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
redhood23
thank you all so much. i am getting certified. you all were a great help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!