FINALLY know whats wrong - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
gracemynote
Thumbs up FINALLY know whats wrong

I know you're all probably sick of hearing about Rexy but I went to another vet today (I've traveled 8 hours now for this critter) and found out for SURE this time what is wrong with him. A lot of you didn't know what was wrong so I can tell you so next time you do! And if anyone ever needs help, or asks a question relating this, you'll know what to tell them! I'm sure you all remember the pictures of the dart-things and slit so I'm not going to post those again. So here was the problem:

Rex is 9 years old, a male, and has not and isn't going to be mating. Because of this he is excreting more waxy substance from his pores and from within him than a mating gecko would. This waxy stuff built-up and made his pores become inflamed. (she said it was called edema). She poked into his vent area to look at the hemipenis and there is a lot of swelling going on in that area from the buildup. So I am directed to use cortaid, just a dab on that area once every other day. It should help reduce the swelling. I should also soak him in water for 10 minutes every three days and if the dart things (excess wax buildup) surface again, than to simply brush them off with a q-tip. If they don't come off right away, leave them, and they eventually will. In doing this, the pores swelling should go down some. However, it may not look like the pictures that people have been showing me of normal pores. So that is the deal with my rexy. I thought it was cute, when the vet poked around in his vent area, he started doing those "angry gecko" noises. I've never heard him make noise like that! It was like a clicking, growling sound.
Anyway, the vet said that rex is a beautiful gecko, and that I've done a good job taking care of him. He just has this little edema problem that will go away with the proper care. So here are some pics of my Rexy, and actually OF Rex and not just his genital area.
He's such a cutie!

Mommy help me get this stuff off my face!

Just like mommy, always wanting to cuddle up somewhere and sleep is the number 1 goal.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Geckogardener
I'm no expert... but I think Rexy is an african fattail... not a leopard gecko.

Glad it's doing better though!

Here's a link to some fattail pics:
http://www.repticzone.com/photogalle...t-Tailed1.html

(If this was covered in a pror post I apologize... i may have missed that)

Old 06-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
gracemynote
Yeah I know he's a fat tail. However, I felt I could post on a leopard gecko forum because of similar anatomies to help figure out what the problem was.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
houdini1
Thats great, Not that he has a little swelling problem but that you got him to a vet that sounds like they know what they are talking about. Sounds like the vet has gotten you on the right track to getting him better. I am glad to know what happened now so maybe if this comes up in the future we would know what to tell people. I bet you are relieved. Good Luck and I hope things get better from here on out.
Kristy
Thank you for getting him to another vet.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
perefalcon
hmmmmm basically he's suffering from a certain deprivation LOL. Glad to hear you took him to another vet, and that it's something that's so easily treated

Old 06-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Leighanne
YEAH!! I am glad you got him to a better Vet, and he is doing well! He is oh SO cute! I am very glad you stayed with us, and shared this info. I have a Leopard gecko I never intend to breed, so I definatley watch out for info like this. Awesome! Thank You Gracenote, or is it Gracemynote?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!