whats wrong with my eggs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
attrius1
whats wrong with my eggs?

this is my leos first time breeding and so far her first 2 clutches were infertile. I found another one today and they looked way better compared to the others. They were nice and white and good size and firm. I put them in my hovabator which is at about 82 and no more than 15 minutes later the eggs shells werent firm anymore. Im using perlite by the way. Is something wrong with my setup or is it just the eggs? Its so weird because the eggs were really firm and hard. Thanks

Old 05-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
HerpAddict
Water?

What ratio of perlite to water are you using?

Old 05-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
I had 2 get softer like that but they did hatch, I use perlite .8 water to 1 perlite

Old 05-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
attrius1
yea i used the .8 to 1 as well. any other comments would be much appreciated

Old 05-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Jeremy Letkey
Ryan, if they deflated that quickly, I'd have to say that there was nothing that you could do. The eggs were probally bad from the start. Be patient and good luck.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Blazin
Nest moisture lever also a consideration.

I'd also look closely at your water ratio in the egg laying box. When eggs are first layed there can sometimes be considerable water exchange between the medium and the eggs. Even soft eggs in a very moist laying medium can sometimes be taken out and left out on the shelf for a few minutes to allow them to harden. Most of the time when dealing with my egg boxes I use the squeeze method for determining correct moisture level. If you using the larger size vermi or bedabeast its really simple. Just wet it down and then grab a large handful. Squeeze the excess moisture out of your hand until it just clumps. It should no longer drip after you've completed this. Once it clings together you have the right consistency. Well I hope this tip helps you out. Just remember don't forget your moisture level in your nests!!!

Old 05-19-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
nydrgnldy
Ohhhh yesss that moisture level in the lay box is very imortant...I hadn't realized just how important it was until just recently.I had several clutches of eggs go just they way yours did.This last clutch though I had been religious about checking the moisture in the lay box and I had even missed one of the eggs thinking she had only laid one...she is a first year breeder so I really wasn't all that surprised.Well I went inater to re moisten the lay box and thats when i found the second egg.And it is just fine not dried out looks great and here we are 2 days later and they look fine no collapsing or anything.Now we just hope it stays that way.I won't touch them for at least 2 weeks.
Robin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!