sterilization? of a gecko, not cage..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
geckogrl6
sterilization? of a gecko, not cage.....

The whole ethics discussion here has got me wondering. I have a few gex that *most* would agree are not breed-worthy. I was wondering if it would be POSSIBLE, read: not discussing the ethics, just feasability, to have my male non-breeder sterilized so I could house him w/a girl and not worry. Or even sterilize the female so she doesn't lay any duds and lose nutrients for nothing. (Won't get into the evolutionary benefits of this practice)

Old 02-07-2005, 05:26 AM   #2
StinaUIUC
I know that it is possible to spay/neuter leos...although I don't know if it would be worth the risks. Most reptiles don't really handle anesthesia well and it could be very difficult to do such a small but major surgery (at least on a female). However if it could be done safely I think it would be a good way to ensure that unwanted genetics are not proliferated (although probably too expensive to be justified for most).

Old 02-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
Gregg M
How bout ya just spend a whole lot less money and buy a separate set up.....LOL..... That would be lot easier on the pocket and on the leos.....

Old 02-07-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Milwaukee Reptiles
I agree. Even if possible it's got to be cheaper to house them individually. While I think it's a great idea, I don't see people spending the money to do it.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
Ditto!

Contrary to what many might think, Leopard Geckos do just fine housed singley. Yes, leos can be surgically altered in order not to reproduce, but like what was already said, the risks and costs are astronomical.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:15 PM   #6
gurnham4
simple;

gecko condoms

I'll get right on it.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurnham4
simple;

gecko condoms

I'll get right on it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!