beardie egg question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
allreptiles1966
Question beardie egg question

hi
1 question, as this has a couple different answers when i looked up!
would you put the eggs in the incubator as they came out of the lay box or would you put the red vein up?
i'm asking becuase my orange hypo pastel virgin just laid her first clutch at 18 months old.
thank you

Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
angie.h
Just take them out as soon as you discover them....don't wait for a day or so....if you think they have sat in the same position for a whole 24 hrs.,try to keep them in the same position that they were in the lay box.I never let them stay that long.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
allreptiles1966
i took them out as she was just to bury.less then 12 hrs.
i have had many eggs before but i lose a few out of every batch.
i never wait to dig them out.

i look and some have the embryo on the top of the egg and some are on the bottom.i read to put the embryo on top!i know they roll a little as she dug a tight hole and it was 15" deep.
true??
i think you have some very nice beardies angie.
thank you for the help!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
angie.h
I don't pay attention to that[red spot].....mine almost all hatch all the time.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
allreptiles1966
thank you angie!
its nice to see the bigger breeders helping us little guys out.
i lose 3-5 every time i have eggs.
last year i had about 350 eggs and about 300 made it.i only have a bunch of the havobators
to use and i have a hard time keeping the humidity over 80% without soaking my perlite.
someone said to use vermiculite,its awful nasty to the eggs it seems.
rich

Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
angie.h
I like vermiculite...sometimes I mix it with sand.A few times I even successfully used plain sand when I ran out of verm.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
westcoastdragons
We also use vermiculite and have never had a problem with it. If you are using a covered egg box drill a few small holes in the top to control excess humidity and be sure it is not overly damp to start with.Generally we let all our females follow through on their natural laying ritual, let them burry their eggs (to their satisfaction , remove them and then dig out the eggs. I'm sure you have seen dragons burying and know that they are fairly rough with the eggs. As long as you get to them fairly soon after laying, you need not worry about placing them in the incubation medium in any particular way.
Sometimes there are losses for no particular reason but if they are excessive it may be attributed to husbandry.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
chris allen
I have used recently a vermiculite from big apple herp....it was coarse glitter grade vermiculite. Like it alot! If anyone needs to order it, I would suggest trying that stuff. I too have never been particular about placing the eggs any certain way, and never had a problem.
Chris Allen

Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
dragonluver83
vermiculite has been my favorite. But i have used that eco earth also. holds moisture and i havent had a mold problem with it either. i used that hatch rite before too. Where you only have to add water once. yea thats b.s. and i also couldnt keep the humidity.
As far as the eggs go i pull them out a.s.a.p. and i keep them visible side up. no turning. But i have missed an egg before and it hatched in the lay bin. Def. dont recommend that but kinda funny to go and use it again and there is a baby dragon running around in it.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
CBBoids
Bearded Egg Incubation

Yeah I agree. Just get this in the incubator as quickly as you can and be as careful as you can not to move them from the way they were laying. You should have a pretty successful hatch rate if you do this.

Good Luck,

Nick
C.B. Boids

Bearded Dragon Cages

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!