Just got a beardie!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
ball pythonz
Just got a beardie!!

Well I wnt today and picked out my baby bearded dragon...dont worry about the 30 gal breeder situation. First of all its a 39 gallon but i'll get a bigger cage as it grows up. Just a few questions- when can I start to handle it, and when should I start to feed it? Also im confused about the water situation. I have a shallow water dish, but should I mist him? Thanks.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
dragonchick88
My opinion...

I woudl suggest on waiting a few days to start holding him/her due to the fact he is or could be stressed from moving and needs to get situated first. Just be careful when you do begin to hold him/her that you dont hold him to tight, just let him/her s=hold you instead of you fighting it trying to hold onto it, that could result in you possibly grabbing for its tail and breaking the tip of. As for the water dish, I recommend not having one in there due to the fact the water will raise the humidity in the cage, beardies like it desert hot not tropical hot. I DO recommend you just putting it in a little bit of water in the bath tub every day for about 30 minutes, this will help with its shedding and it will hydrate its skin aloing with it will drink the water thats in there and you will begin the process of potty training, all of our dragons r potty trained to go in the tub so they know its business when they get in there and when they get it done they get fresh water and know then its time to chill and hang out. Good advice about the water, some dragons will start drinking the water in the tub if they dont get alot of water in their diet ( their veggies supply about I THINK abotu 65% of water in their diet) so if they arent getting enough veggies they will have a low amount of water and find other ways of getting it which is..well the water in the tub...so just watch cause that will be a sign to warn he/she may not be gettign enough veggies. I hope this helps and CONGRADUALTIONS ON YOUR NEW ADDITION! Trust me you just bought the best lizard god has created!!!

Old 08-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
ball pythonz
Thanks. So my best way to keep him hydrated is a bath and wet veggies? I tryed misting his face a little but that didnt do much... thanks for the help.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
dragonchick88
No dont wet his veggies, that will ruin them. The vegies they consume alraedy have the water INSIDE them that dragons need, if he/she is not getting GOOD veggies they wont be recieving any of the water that the veggies themselves contain. Just feed him all the veggies you can eat...go to one of my posts that says " got a question concerning greens" and Mike Shoemaker has left a EXCELLENT website that gives you the veggies and alittle bit more of what they can eat. I believe its called beautiful dragons.com..try it and if it doesnt bring up a list of stuff they can eat and the nutrition value the green has then go to that post, just put it in the bath everyday for about 30 min or more with luke warm water and it will be fine. I dont mist them in their cages cause it raises humidity and again, dragons liek hot weather just not tropical hot. Hope this helps!!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
Rebel Dragons
Here are some helpful links.

Nutrition Chart

Firefly Info

Hatchling Care

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!