Requiring signatures - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
doug-ferrin
Requiring signatures

I usually send reptiles fedex with my known shipper account.

I always require that the receiving party has to sign for delivery.

But apparently some people do not think this is a good idea because if the person is temporarly unable to answer the door, the box stays on the truck (hot, cold, etc) and is then difficult to track. But if you don't require a signature, the box will be on the doorstep until the receiver can open the door.

What is the opinion on this subject?

(sorry if this topic has been addressed recently).

I am curious about reptilesexpress as well. I'll check to see what people have posted about that.

Thank you,

Doug

Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Southern Wolf
I require a signature on every shipment that goes out. The reason for this is due to my live arrival guarantee. If you dont sign for it... how do I know you were home to accept the package? How do I know that it wasnt left on your doorstep in 90*+ weather for four hours? Same goes if you miss the delivery. At least I have some record incase of something happens. Is this system perfect... no... but its the best we have.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
I require a signature on every shipment that goes out. The reason for this is due to my live arrival guarantee. If you dont sign for it... how do I know you were home to accept the package? How do I know that it wasnt left on your doorstep in 90*+ weather for four hours? Same goes if you miss the delivery. At least I have some record incase of something happens. Is this system perfect... no... but its the best we have.

Even when someone is home to accept the package that requires signature, they don't always let you actually sign for it.. so when someone looks at tracking.. it says things like.. package left on door step. This is one of the reasons why anytime I have a package coming I immediately open it and email the person who sent it so they have at least the time stamp of my email and the fact that I am telling them I got the package so if they check the tracking they don't think the box is still sitting outside or something.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Melinda
I have had an issue with a shipping company not knocking or knocking so lightly that myself, hubby and 4 dogs do not hear it. Hubby and the dogs are usually within 6 ft of the door. The package was then put back on the truck for delivery the next day. After calls to customer service and basically being called a liar by them, I was able to pick up my package where the truck was delivering other packages.

I don't require signatures and part of my new live arrival guarantee is that the customer emails me within 30 minutes of the posted delivery time on the condition of the package and animal or the guarantee is void. If the package is delivered to a service center than I'll allow 1 hour for the customer to get home, open and email.

I would rather the box be left by the door than put back on the truck for delivery the next day.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Khaman
This is Fed Ex's reason for requiring that live animals to be delivered to a business, they keep business hours and there is someone there to sign for the package. I pick mine up at the station and they are usually ready before 8am.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaman View Post
This is Fed Ex's reason for requiring that live animals to be delivered to a business, they keep business hours and there is someone there to sign for the package. I pick mine up at the station and they are usually ready before 8am.
Not everybody works a standard 9-5..... so business hours dont really apply to everybody.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Not everybody works a standard 9-5..... so business hours dont really apply to everybody.
I know this but I literally meant this is why Fed Ex requires Business to Business shipment, so someone is there to receive the package. Their reasoning is that someone must be working at a storefront business at 10:30am on a weekday. Fed Ex knows most of their drivers only care about making so many deliveries and hour and it is much easier to slap a notice on the door than it is for them to knock, wait for you to answer, and sign for the package. I would imagine they prefer it since more than likely you will have it held and pick it up yourself and they don't have to repeat the next day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!