California King Snake disposition - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
Juxtaposition109
Question California King Snake disposition

Hello all,
I am now ready to get another snake and I'm researching California King Snakes. I am wondering how their disposition is in general and especially with handling. I already have had a Ball Python and a Corn snake for a couple of years so I'm not completely new to snakes but this will be my first King Snake. How does their care and disposition compare to that of Corn and Ball Python snakes?

Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
D. Mong
Well, all snake's are individuals, so it is virtually impossible to say how any one particular Cal. king is going to be. They are generally pretty easy-going with similar basic care as corns and milks. They are generall extemely voracious feeders too. If they aren't fed pretty well, some can be a bit "chewy" on the hands and fingers, so they should be fed well, but NOT overly so. When snakes are very young and small, they tend to put all their food calories towards growing, which is all well and good. Now when they start reaching mature adulthood, they can sometimes become obese if their food intake is not monitored well.

I would strongly suggest that you get an inexpensive book or two on common kingsnakes too. This will help you IMMENSELY with understanding them. You simply cannot learn about them simply by asking a few questions on forums as I see so often. Sure certain questions being answered by other people's experience can be very useful at times, but to get a good FULL understanding of what makes them "tick", you really benefit tremendously from reading some good inexpensive books regarding them. The books also can be referred to whenever you want to, and you can EASILY prevent problems from happening well before they ever start, which is another thing I constantly see. Problems are much easier to avoid than to deal with once they occur, it's really as simple as that.

Good luck!

~Doug

Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
JETZEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello all,
I am now ready to get another snake and I'm researching California King Snakes. I am wondering how their disposition is in general and especially with handling. I already have had a Ball Python and a Corn snake for a couple of years so I'm not completely new to snakes but this will be my first King Snake. How does their care and disposition compare to that of Corn and Ball Python snakes?

cali care is about identical to corn care.

but corns have a better disposition(usually)LOL!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
BigTattoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETZEN View Post
cali care is about identical to corn care.

but corns have a better disposition(usually)LOL!!!
LOL I don't know about that. I had a female corn that loved to chew on me every chance she got. More than any cali king ever did.

To the OP if you like corns you'll like cali kings too. Go for it but as recommended get some inexpensive books and read up on them. Brian Hubbs has a nice paperback on kingsnakes that is a must have and it's not expensive at all.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
JETZEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTattoo View Post
LOL I don't know about that. I had a female corn that loved to chew on me every chance she got. More than any cali king ever did.

To the OP if you like corns you'll like cali kings too. Go for it but as recommended get some inexpensive books and read up on them. Brian Hubbs has a nice paperback on kingsnakes that is a must have and it's not expensive at all.

i've had many sweet corns....and many nasty cali.

many more corns are produced every year than cali. maybe corns are more domesticated?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!