Calcium/Vitamin Supplements: What's everyone use? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2004, 02:35 PM   #21
A&M Gecko
Just remember that Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, and that because fat soluble vitamins are not extracted from the body, they can build up to toxic levels. That is a fact. I would advise people do do some research on Vitamin A, and how it builds up in the body.

I will read some about that. Can it be that the % of Vitamin A in Vionate is so low that does not effect the geckos in any way?
I will keep you informed if I find any problems. This is just an example, but there are thinks that we do to ourselves as well, that if done in moderate way do not cause any problems but if done constantly for years and years may do damage to us. One small example is drinking to much coke, lol. My stepsons are sure overdosed by that, lol.
Alberto

Old 04-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #22
KelliH
Quote:
One small example is drinking to much coke, lol. My stepsons are sure overdosed by that, lol.
LOL, me too! Diet Coke is my drug of choice, I really should cut back!

Old 04-17-2004, 02:45 PM   #23
A&M Gecko
Hey Kelli, is always a pleasure debating with you, do not forget we got a drink appointment at Daytona.
Alberto

Old 04-17-2004, 02:51 PM   #24
Golden Gate Geckos
Vitamin A

According to the book "Nutrition in Reptile Medicine and Surgery" by D. M. Mader, DVM (Ed.), the ratio of vitamin A to vitamin D to vitamin E should be 100:10:1. He doesn't specify how often vitamin supplements should be given except that it is species dependent. So, if you look at the list of ingredients in Vionate, the level of Vit E is pretty high. I do not know for sure about hypervitaminosis-E, but I do know that too much Vitamin A can cause severe eye swelling/damage and uncontrollable bleeding in the internal organs.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:04 PM   #25
A&M Gecko
I do know that too much Vitamin A can cause severe eye swelling/damage and uncontrollable bleeding in the internal organs.

Hi Marcia
If anything like that was happening to my geckos I would definitely tell everybody to stay away from that stuff, be sure of that.
Alberto

Old 04-17-2004, 04:14 PM   #26
Bryan Self
I have been told that Bill Brant uses Vionate as well. I choose to use Pine Labs Calcuim. I agree that as long as the insect is gut loaded that vitamins are not needed. It is nice to see a debate on the subject not a arguement.

Old 04-17-2004, 10:41 PM   #27
bro paul
I agree...it's very helpful to see information like this. Both Kelli and Alberto (and others) have been great to me, going the extra mile to help me when ever I have a question or need gecko advice. It's a real treat to read the research & personal experiences offered by these two breeders and others...keep up the great work ya'll...debates like this are crucial to help us keep raising the standard of husbandry our great pets deserve.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!