A surpring PetCo experience - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-19-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
ChuUtena
A surpring PetCo experience

While I was skipping my first class today, LoL, I went in to the PetCo down neat my school to waste time for my next class. I was over in the reptile section (where else?? Ha!) And I saw a sign I had never noticed before. It listed the reptile "expert" in the store, this of coure meant nothing because you saw that he had really no experience. But right below that was another sign, it said something along the lines of, "Our local reptile vet" And gave an address, phone number, and name of their reptile vet here in Columbus! That amazed me. Working at a pet store before, we had a vet who would mobile to our store if one of the animals were sick, but mainly just cats and dogs. But this sign at PetCo wasn't for the whole store, just referring to the reptiles. That made me feel really good actually! Their set ups are always in good condition, not perfect but it's a pet store and it's hard, trust me it's very hard. I just thought I would share my oddly positive experience regarding reptiles at a pet store!!

Old 04-19-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
E2MacPets
Kristen,

Every PetCO has that, as far as I know.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:57 AM   #3
Sybella
Mine local PetCo has that posted too. And, the vet listed is my family vet that we've used for 25 years or so.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
ChuUtena
I've never seen it before!

Now that I sound stupid, I have two PetCos in my area, and I've never seen one of those posted before. Maybe I'm blind, lol oh well!

Old 04-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Sybella
Oh no!! Don't feel stupid. This was a good thing. Just think...if you hadn't noticed it before, there are probably countless other people who hadn't either, but now they know to look for it.

LOL!!

Old 04-20-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Golden Gate Geckos
Bay Area Petco

I am glad the PetCo near you looks good, Kristen! I have also been in a few that actually took care of their reptiles, too. Yes, they have the same thing posted in our local PetCo's as well... however, whether or not they really have an expert on duty or actually use the vet listed, is another story.

I was in one of the local stores just last week, and they had a little juvie blizzard for sale as an "albino banded gecko." I asked to speak with the 'expert', and he just argued with me about it until I gave him my business card and told him he could call me anytime with questions. LOL!!! I wonder what their "local reptile vet" would say about how many of PetCo's sick reptiles they actually treat?

I honestly think the individual stores have totally different philosophies on caring for reptiles and varying degrees of experienced employees. I hope it isn't just more "PetCrap" from "PetCorp's" National level management, and they are truly beginning come around! That would be soooo wonderful, because they have a tremendous impact and influence on the general public's attitude about keeping reptiles as pets.

**PLEASE don't call me a PETA supporter! I'm NOT!!!**

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!