Info Rick & Edward Hernandez (Dreamer Reptile Rescue) - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #21
MissFirefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
It sounds like it isn't easy peazy, I'd like to hear from someone who got one....

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...1c3-30124.html
My rescue is working on getting ours and it isn't easy! Luckily, we have a member with legal experience which helps with a lot of the filing.

Again, as I stated above, "rescues" that take in animals for free and flip them really makes legitimate rescue work difficult because people tend to question our motives. I really wish people like this would stop using the word rescue...

Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
hadenglock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
It sounds like it isn't easy peazy, I'd like to hear from someone who got one....

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...1c3-30124.html
I work with multiple rescues who own a 501(c) license, its basically just filing for a tax break the real issue behind it is the money needed to obtain one, most will hire a lawyer to draw up the paperwork and go from there. In light of how hard/easy it is to obtain one, its still good to have one regardless.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
reticguy76
This is a tough one (for me at least). On one hand, it is dishonest and under-handed. However, it is (still at least) a free market system we have, as well as a buyer beward environment. While, I wouldnt personally get an injured or sick or unwanted animal and advertise/sell it as something its not for a major profit, its not illegal (depending on if they are licensed to operate as a non-profit organization). I get sick animals in quite frequently in my animal clinic and I choose to take many home and rehab and nurse them and then adopt them out for either a small fee (to ensure a good home, not usually more than 40 or 50 bucks) or I let them go to an adoption agency type place (dependent on the type of animal). But, its not illegal (unless otherwise implemented by the seller that they are non-profit), to get a free couch, for instance, fix it up and then sell it. Animals, are unfortunately, considered propery, legally, so law wise, its no different than fixing up a couch you find and selling it. Morally, ethically it is wrong and just deviant, but not wrong in the eyes of the law.
All you (and any of us) can do, is expose them and hope that some poor young and/or inexperienced person doesnt get taken. Reality is, it happens everyday, with many many many situations.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
Zombie's Morphs
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
This is a tough one (for me at least). On one hand, it is dishonest and under-handed. However, it is (still at least) a free market system we have, as well as a buyer beward environment. While, I wouldnt personally get an injured or sick or unwanted animal and advertise/sell it as something its not for a major profit, its not illegal (depending on if they are licensed to operate as a non-profit organization). I get sick animals in quite frequently in my animal clinic and I choose to take many home and rehab and nurse them and then adopt them out for either a small fee (to ensure a good home, not usually more than 40 or 50 bucks) or I let them go to an adoption agency type place (dependent on the type of animal). But, its not illegal (unless otherwise implemented by the seller that they are non-profit), to get a free couch, for instance, fix it up and then sell it. Animals, are unfortunately, considered propery, legally, so law wise, its no different than fixing up a couch you find and selling it. Morally, ethically it is wrong and just deviant, but not wrong in the eyes of the law.
All you (and any of us) can do, is expose them and hope that some poor young and/or inexperienced person doesnt get taken. Reality is, it happens everyday, with many many many situations.
This is true. While it is morally wrong it may not be illegal. There may be legal ramifications if they are accepting donations or something like that. Then the IRS would be very interested. Its also tax evasion if they aren't reporting any income from doing it. Just like Missfirefly said it makes others look bad and not just rescues, but everyone trying to sell an animal. Seeing as how I am in the area it looks bad on the hobby as a whole in this area. Just my opinion.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
reticguy76
Oh, please dont get me wrong, its horrible and morally/ethically reprehensible. Also, depending on what all is/maybe going on in that resuce, certain legal authorities could be warranted and legal actions taken (which would be great). Also, I take offense to what they are doing as a private, good citizen rescue/rehabilitation person, that does not profit off of rescuing neglected/unwanted pets (and if I do ask for a re-homing fee through adopting an animal through me, I give it all to a rehab charity for that species of animal). If they are doing all their taxes and claiming all income, and they are simply taking free/cheap animals and selling them for money, I cant condemn them for that, LEGALLY. Its disgusting on a personal level, and does mess up all the legitimate rescue people and orgainizations, but if everything legally is on the up and up, they are free to do it, My problem is either dont reveal that you are a so called "non-profit" organization, or if you truly are, dont flip with that "non-profit" title.
Almost in the same league as some of the auctions that go on these days

Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #26
Snake-Queen
I take in reptiles that can no longer be cared for. I do not resell them. I keep rescues separate from the ones I am selling. I re-homed a nice snow corn a few weeks ago, I had him for 6 months & had no fee.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, bearded dragon, boa, dumerils, snake