Personality/Maturity Question..... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durante View Post
So for all the jokers, here comes the loaded question of the day where I set my self up. Is there anything I can do for my buddy, or just he have to ride out this pledge of abstinence?
Well, NOT to take the obvious route, but to treat this as a serious question.... ..... I've had a tank of males in the same room as a mating couple, and they definitely get really restless and go off feed. However, once it's all over and she stops smelling so desirable, they all go back to normal very quickly.

So, I'd think about taking him further away from her and he should go back to being your good old platonic friend.....

Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
Durante
I appreciate you sharing from your experience, your suggestion & reasoning behind it makes total sense. Unfortunately for me being I haven't been as successful in my house hunting as I hoped & just don't have the space I need yet. It was easier during quarantines, etc when they were smaller & had lighter enclosures. I'm afraid for at least this year I'm this year I'll just have to take my thumps & accept the good with the bad. Hopefully soon I'll have that extra space, honestly I cant wait & already have big plans. Thanks again.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Helenthereef
You;re just gonna have to bear with him humping your hand then..........

Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Durante
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post

Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post

Way too funny thinking of that.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
allreptiles1966
Hey Chris
I have some adults that are very fond of being handled also. As soon as i open the cage,they climb right on me and chill out.And not because cage temps or being dirty. They truly seem to enjoy being handled. I think they have some brains and not just a feed and breed mode.
Good luck with the house hunting also.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
ShadowAceD
Hey Chris,

What are the male's temps at?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Durante
He just ate on 9/24/2012 & is blue ready to shed so I haven't messed with him much except to change his water & clean his place so I dont know if his little mood swing changed at all yet. It's actually funny you asked about his temperatures because I have been wondering about that & watching it the last few days. I get scared asking about temperatures & humidity setting because everyone has there own opinion but welcome any suggestions if you think it would help or benefit my critters.

Each enclosure is 48"x30"x18" with an 80 watt heat panel on one side controlled by an individual herpstat. I also have a Thermometer in each cage & use a 412L Thermometer gun to double check temps & make sure probes are okay. I have all the cages set to 89.9 in the day on the hot side with a 10 degree night drop on the hot side. The day temp starts to gradually kick in 9am & ends 9pm when the night drop starts to gradually kick in. I have 3 enclosures stacked with the top enclosures hot side on the left, the middle enclosures hot side on the right, & bottom enclosures hot side on the left. I've noticed with the enclosures stacked this way the cool side is never more then 6 degrees different then the hot side in any of the cages. The lighting is set on a timer matching the day/night temp cycle but doesn't seem to have any effect on temperature.

The weather here in PA has been changing getting cooler with a lot more rainy days. I'm not sure if its related to the weather change or because the larger water bowels I keep on the cooler side are not being filled as much since I had a few spills but I noticed the humidity has dropped in each cage a little & is currently between 50-60 degrees throughout the day now. I figured that was good because they all shed in one piece except for the new little one who was shipped during a shed.

If there is anything I forgot to add or wrote down wrong where it doesn't make sense let me know. Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
ShadowAceD
If you want, you can kick off the night drop and there's a good chance he'll come out of "breeding mode" early. Keeping it at constant "Summer Temps" can discourage it and maybe he'll calm down.

Not a guarantee, just a thought.

I had to do it two years ago when a male kept trying to escape his enclosure to get to females.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!