Sand? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2004, 05:51 AM   #1
XxDallaBillxX
Question Sand?

i have a berdie i was wundring if sand will really cause impaction and wut chance is it will some say use it some say DONT i dont kno who 2 believe i use sand and have had my berdie for 3 weeks or so he seems great no probs at all and also if watr in a bowel is good or bad juz want some comments from E*x*P*e*R*i*E*n*C*e*D owners/breaders thx so much

Old 07-17-2004, 05:44 AM   #2
XxDallaBillxX

hello any1?

Old 08-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
Reptileking636
although i am not experienced, i have done my research. Most sites will sat that some will and some won't, one kind that has the ability to is calcium sand, sometimes a beardie will develope a taste for the sand and eat too much to digest safely. If you do decide to use sand, make sure that all the "big" pieces are taken out, and also make sure that there is no silica in it.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
vferra7777
Check out our experiment!!

Hello. WE HAVE BEEN BREEDING CARING FOR BEARDIES FOR A WHILE AS WELL AS MANY OTHER LIZARDS. Like you I heard much both ways on sand. This past summer we offered a summer program for high school kids. e decided to do an experiment. the results are here:

http://www.offthearkexoticpets.com/sand.html

We have since added some more info that will be posted later this week.

In short, we found that Repilite sand was by far the best and I use it now for the babies.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Pug
I have two dragons, and I don't use sand as the main substrate for eithers cage. That's not because it could cause an impaction or anything bad, but because it's a real big pain in the rear to switch out the sand on a regular basis. The floors of both cages are reptile carpet over a layer of tan shelf liner with a sandbox on an area smaller than half. That gives one dragon (Le'Chuck) a sleeping area and another (Gummy) her pooping spot. She will only poop in one corner of the sandbox, no where else, where as Le'Chuck will poop anywhere he wants (which is bad because he has 3 parasites and is being treated). It's so much easier to remove the sandbox, clean it and then stuff it back inside.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!