To sand or not to sand that is the question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Use sand or not
Sure let em' stuff their gullets no harm. 3 30.00%
An inch or less is ok 0 0%
It's ok if you watch your gecko to make sure it does not eat it. 2 20.00%
WTF???? Are you nuts???? 3 30.00%
Hey if a pre vet and a guy with a scary name that likes to hug teddys say it's ok then I'm with them. 0 0%
Slate is my friend 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
beakgeek
To sand or not to sand that is the question

OK, after battling with pre vet girl and teddy bear hugging boy on KS I thought I'd post a question to people who have owned leopard geckos for more than a year.

Use sand or not to use sand????

Everything I have heard, read, etc. say is it bad.

What's your call??

Old 04-26-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
E2MacPets
LOL

I'm friendly with both of them, online. They're good intentioned. I haven't read any of the latest discussions, I avoid the sand debates these days.

I used to be a sand nazi.

Now, I use sand. I'm happy with sand. My animals are 'happy' with sand.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
Jodi L Aherns
I use calcium carbonat just like sand for 8 years now with no bad results.A very good buddy used the same stuff i use for around 15 years with no bad results.The brand i use is FRE-FLOW made by Iowa limestone co i buy it at fleet farm $2.79 for a 50lb bag.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
StinaUIUC
I'd appreciate it if you could not mock Nevin and I...I may not have been working with leos for very long...but I've done my research.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #5
robin d.
Quote:
I may not have been working with leos for very long...
exactly, you lack experience

Quote:
but I've done my research.
as far as i am concerned not much factual info is on the net about this. MOST info you find via internet AND books is incorrect or outdated. only a couple of resources online and no books with more than basic (alot incorrect too) info............. i would only go by a very few websites and only listen a handful of people regarding correct info about leos...........
and most of thise have no website or even post

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i knew i left KS for a reason............................... i hope this kinda stuff doesnt continue over here

Old 04-26-2004, 11:59 PM   #6
beakgeek
I am free to mock. You throw pre vet around like it gives what you say more weight.

I am fed up with you. You started posting on KS questions like this:

Posted by: StinaUIUC at Tue Dec 30 12:16:47 2003 [ Email Message ]

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with feeding their leos non-living food (pellet or canned dead like can 'o crickets or whatnot). Will they even eat it since it doesn't move?

Congrats on your new found interest, but please you are far from being an expert.

I am the first to admit I am new with Leopard Geckos, but I too was once pre vet(by the way you still have a few years to go before you can consider vet school), and it does not make me more of an expert than anyone else who is new to this.

Yes, some of the information you post is accurate, but you are inconsistant and have a long way to go.

Regards,

Terry

Old 04-27-2004, 12:00 AM   #7
StinaUIUC
I've gotten the majority of my info from people who know what they're talking about...Bill DeFabio for one thing. I know there is a lot of misinformation out there...that's why talk to people who do have experience and use KS. I'm aware that that I lack experience, but usually know the difference between faulty and good information sources when I'm doing research. I may have some faulty information...but the sand info I got mostly from Bill and a couple other people on KS. I'm telling anyone they have to use sand...I just don't think it's as dangerous as some people think...if someone else thinks its too dangerous to risk that's fine, that's thier opinion. I want to get all the info out there for people brand new to leos that don't know. I just don't appreciate being mocked by someone behind my back

Old 04-27-2004, 12:03 AM   #8
StinaUIUC
Just so you know...that question from kingsnake was posted in December...I didn't know anything then...since then I've been online basically every day (no joke) looking at leo stuff. and usually when I say that I'm prevet it has to do with having worked with vets before. And honestly...I think it does give me a little more "weight" since it means I'm actually studying animals in school and not just working with them as a hobby...

Old 04-27-2004, 12:05 AM   #9
beakgeek
I'll come over there and mock if you like. You found this on a free open board that obviously you know about. Now you know how I feel. Have fun dispensing information on KS. I'll not being going back there anytime soon.

Regards,

Terry

Old 04-27-2004, 12:06 AM   #10
StinaUIUC
whoops...sorry about all the posts!!!....I didn't really read that entire post by terry.... I may just be pre-vet...but I've wanted to be a vet at least since I was 3 (you can ask my parents)....I'm very serious about it and as of now I've got the grades to get into vet school.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!