I am considering getting some C.B.B. Theloderma corticale. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
Dyscophus antongilii
I am considering getting some C.B.B. Theloderma corticale.

Hi All,

The title pretty much says it all LOL. I am a real "frog nut". As many of you have noticed.

Anyway, I have found someone who raises cold water Theloderma corticale. As tadpoles obviously. I just want to make that clear.

So, I am seriously considering getting some. I have always loved them (okay, I am really a frog lover period). I have read various articles and watched Youtube video's on them. They don't seem that hard to care for.

Does anyone have experience with them? If so, would you mind sharing your experience with them?

Thanks all for reading.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
elena
I have never worked with them as tadpoles, but as adults I found them to be delightful captives and quite hardy. A few adults can live in an 18"x18"x24" viv. As far as tips go, make sure to provide a sizable water area with underwater hides and a submersible filter. They are as aquatic as they are arboreal.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I have never worked with them as tadpoles,
I have not either. Nor do I want to LOL. Seriously, I am sorry for being confusing. Thanks for your time and patience with me. I know that I must be trying your patience.

Quote:
but as adults I found them to be delightful captives and quite hardy.
The tadpoles I put a deposit on are cold water raised. So, it will be about 21 more days before they have legs. Then, the breeder said they would grow them to the size of an American fifty cent piece.

He said I could give him more money to "keep them longer/grow them bigger". Would you recommend that? Or, are they fairly hardy at the size of a American fifty cent piece?

I would rather pay a bit more and have them be delightful and hardy. Since, I have wanted this species since my teens.

Quote:
A few adults can live in an 18"x18"x24" viv.
Would an Exo Terra that size work?

Quote:
As far as tips go, make sure to provide a sizable water area with underwater hides and a submersible filter.
Thanks so much for that information. What would you recommend for hides and a filter?

Quote:
They are as aquatic as they are arboreal.
I swear, I knew that much. Though, I am sure that is hard to believe.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
elena
I've never worked with them that small. Personally, I think it's never a bad idea to go with older specimens, especially of a species that is new to you.

Yes, I've always kept them in exo terra or similar brands.

As far as hides go, I like to use large pieces of wood, that can provide both hiding and climbing opportunities. A local aquarium store should have some nice pieces, and you will know that they have not been treated with anything that would make them unsafe. Any small submersible filter would be fine.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
I've never worked with them that small.
What was the approximate size of the specimens you worked with? Or, maybe, a better question would be: what size were the specimens when you acquired them?

On a completely unrelated note, you don't happen to have any your willing to sell right?

Quote:
Personally, I think it's never a bad idea to go with older specimens,
I completely, absolutely, one hundred and ten percent agree with you.

I just feel like we might be the only two who feel that way. Everyone else, I have contact with is like: if it is just for your collection, get a hatchling/juvenile.

Quote:
especially of a species that is new to you.
As per usual, in my humble opinion, you are "spot on". Or, perhaps, a better way to say it is like this: you are completely correct, as usual.

Quote:
Yes, I've always kept them in exo terra or similar brands.
That is great. I had just read "mixed reviews" on using them. So, I wanted to ask. Since, you have actually had this species in your care.

Quote:
As far as hides go, I like to use large pieces of wood, that can provide both hiding and climbing opportunities.
That is a fantastic idea.

Quote:
A local aquarium store should have some nice pieces,
Sadly, in my geographical area, those type of stores have gone "extinct". But, I could go to my local Petco, Petsmart, and even Petland Discount Store.

Quote:
and you will know that they have not been treated with anything that would make them unsafe,
You can clearly see and or sense my general level of paranoia huh? But, seriously, you are right!!

Quote:
Any small submersible filter would be
Okay, thanks again!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
elena
They were in the 3in range and did not perceptibly grow while I was caring for them. I believe that's about as big as they get. I don't keep or sell frogs anymore. You could potentially find some good wood in a chain petstore, or you could search around online. Try to buy from a source that caters specifically to aquarium/terrarium hobbyists, because if you buy something from a source that is mainly selling wood to be used with plants, flower arrangements, yard decoration ect. you might end up with wood that has been treated with chemicals that are unsafe for amphibians. As far as I know, any wood that is meant for a freshwater aquarium should be safe.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
They were in the 3in range and did not perceptibly grow while I was caring for them.
Lucky you! I wish the specimens I am going to acquire, had been full size like the ones you acquired.

Quote:
I believe that's about as big as they get.
I am fairly sure you are correct, as usual.

Quote:
I don't keep or sell frogs anymore.
That is unfortunate. Can you recommend anyone?

Quote:
You could potentially find some good wood in a chain petstore, or you could search around online.
Thanks again, I will check out both sources throughly.

Quote:
Try to buy from a source that caters specifically to aquarium/terrarium hobbyists, because if you buy something from a source that is mainly selling wood to be used with plants, flower arrangements, yard decoration ect. you might end up with wood that has been treated with chemicals that are unsafe for amphibians.
As usual, you make perfect sense. Your a very very wise women, in my humble opinion. Plus, your very kind and giving with your expertise.

Quote:
As far as I know, any wood that is meant for a freshwater aquarium should be safe.
That is great to know. I have watched Youtube's put out by Joshes Frogs, they mentioned putting leaves in the water. They said the tannins from leaves are good for the frogs. They also mentioned only changing half the water every two weeks.

My gut feel is the information you provided is far more accurate. What do you think of the above information? I can post the Youtube for you, if, you want to view it.

Thanks again, for your time and patience.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!